B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Twincharging the 2.8?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 01:52 PM
1st Gear
Default Twincharging the 2.8?

Hey guys im a noob on audi forums and sometimes these crazy ideas come to mind so here you go.

Aircraft internal combustion engines have been using twin charging for a long time. There are some turbines that use twin charging also. For those of you who don't recognize the term, it simply means combining two different compressors together, either in series or parallel.

I was thinking... one day when I get myself another car and leave my B5 in the garage... why not try to super charge and turbo charge it? I read somewhere that strapping on both compressors wont make a difference if the ECU isn't tuned correctly. So assuming I find someone who would actually attempt to tune it, is it worth it?

The cost of a project like this is probably in the 10,xxx's but im interested in finding out if im the only psycho who thought about twin charging the B5.

Old 09-01-2013, 06:10 PM
2nd Gear

Name:  FlameSuit2.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  19.8 KB

*gets popcorn ready*

1. Unless you have a strong attachment to your car, doing this would be a time-consuming, likely dead end project full of regret.

2. The twin turbo'd B5 is the 2.7TT in the S4 and the RS4. You'd avoid all the headache, custom work, and throwing your money into a sinkhole by selling your 2.8L and picking up a well-maintained S or RS.

3. The supercharger is a possibility with your engine, but finding one will be difficult and sourcing a tune(r) will be even harder, but you would get that awesome whine. I'd do this if I had a B5 (now I sound like Randy) and the opportunity.

4. This isn't exactly like all the other threads who want to turbo their 2.8L, but there is always a way to do something if money isn't an issue. If you hold onto your A4 that long, I think it'd be cool to sell it to an aspiring enthusiast in high school/college to get them in the scene from a generous guy.

5. You're talking twincharging, not biturbo, but 034 Motorsport put a bit of effort in R&D for a single turbo kit on the 2.8 A4 and the 2.7 S4

Max@034's B5 A4 V6 Build Thread - 6 speed swap, turbo soon, etc

034Motorsport STK, 2.7T, Basic Single Turbo Kit - 034Motorsport | Performance Parts for Audi, Porsche, and Volkswagen

Last edited by Skythe; 09-01-2013 at 06:12 PM.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:22 PM
Administrator

I don't know of any successful projects of this nature, but that doesn't mean it's impossible. If you want to do it just to say that you did it, by all means go nuts. If you're trying to make power with the 2.8 in a cost-effective manner, you're barking up the wrong tree. You'd likely need to do most of the R&D yourself, so keep that in mind. That said, this could be awesome.

Old 09-01-2013, 06:58 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by CCA4
That said, this could be awesome.
^ This. I put all that info up there cause similar questions are asked about every month and the responses are almost always the same. If you did it, it would be bad ***, but do it for you.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:03 PM
Site Moderator/B5 Tech Guru

Originally Posted by Kamil`
why not try to super charge and turbo charge it? I read somewhere that strapping on both compressors wont make a difference if the ECU isn't tuned correctly. So assuming I find someone who would actually attempt to tune it, is it worth it?
I don't mean to rain on your parade, or hate on "new" ideas, but if these are the questions you are asking it's hard to take your proposition seriously. The people who could pull something like this off likely wouldn't start with those questions.

Regardless, good luck if you decide to attempt this.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:31 PM
1st Gear

You have all confirmed my worst fears. If my budget is high enough I will dive into this project and prove the entire audi universe wrong! ;P

Old 09-01-2013, 10:18 PM
1st Gear

Then again, I was thinking about finding a VR6 motor somewhere and throwing it in the B5. I hear that conversion is expensive and time consuming also, assuming you do it all yourself.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:05 PM
2nd Gear

Then again, I was thinking about finding a VR6 motor somewhere and throwing it in the B5. I hear that conversion is expensive and time consuming also, assuming you do it all yourself.
What would the point of that be? I have a friend with a chipped gti vr6 and I beat him every time we race, he also never stops complaining about how hard it is to work on.

Old 09-02-2013, 01:33 AM
2nd Gear

If your budget is high enough, why not an S4/5/6/8 or a BMW M3 or something new(er) that won't give you a headache every weekend?

Still it would be cool.

Big Boost's VR6 BAT Build!!

This guy needs to get his act together and finish his build. 3 years and it barely runs. So much money invested.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:06 AM
4th Gear

These are the guys you would talk to about that idea...
034Motorsport A4 - 12v VR6T - 034Motorsport | Performance Parts for Audi, Porsche, and Volkswagen