B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Turns over but won't start- no codes

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 05:59 PM
1st Gear

I pulled the ECTS and tried to start. No dice.

I pulled the MAF connector and tried to start, and it seemed to be kicking over a bit. I gave it some throttle, trimmed it back, etc. After about a minute of this I got it to start. I spewed a bunch of blue oil smoke out the exhaust for about the next minute, and burnt off a ton from my leaking valve cover. During this time I plugged the MAF back in... and the car idled fine. I was hoping it would die so at least I knew what my problem was.

I reassembled the airbox and surrounding pieces, and it was still idling great. Suddenly my ICM started ticking loudly. It did this for a while, then stopped, then started up again.

I tried wiggling everything coming from that wire split around the ICM and MAF, but it didn't affect the idle. Against my better judgment I took a little drive around my small neighborhood. It was running great, so I decided to make another lap and hopefully charge the battery a bit after all the failed attempts at starting. I hit one corner in 2nd gear at about 2k rpms and it stumbled for a second, then came right back. Ran fine around the rest of the block. I parked it, turned it off for a few seconds, then tried to turn it back on. It started up fine, first turn. I let it idle a bit and tried again. Still fine.

CEL never came on. I will VAG-COM it later, but will it show a code with no CEL? How does it stumble and not recognize a problem?

WTF is happening here? Did it start because I unplugged the MAF, or was that coincidence since it kept running with it plugged in?

Please give me some thoughts as the car is useless as is. I can't drive it anywhere until I find out what the problem is and replace the component.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:05 PM
Site Moderator

The valve by the ICM is supposed to tick. I think it was a coincidence that it's just fine now. If I were you I'd shrug it off as a fluke. There's not much you can do if there are no codes, no cel, and it's running fine now. If you dont know when the plugs were replaced last then certainly replace them. NGK BKR6E gapped at .028-.030

As for the stumble not getting recognized by the ecu, if it's just a single stumble and not repetitive then I wouldnt expect it to recognize. A code may or may not have been stored. But it is possible for a code to be stored without triggering a cel.

Last edited by onepoint8tee; 01-12-2009 at 06:09 PM.