B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

turbo maint and other newbie questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 11:41 PM
1st Gear
Default turbo maint and other newbie questions

I've tried to search the faqs/stickys and history but I have 3 questions that I'm still not sure of the answers on.

As a new owner (not just of an Audi, but of a turbo) is there any special maintenance that the turbo needs? Any special oil or cleaning, or anything like that?

Also, I've read some bad stuff about oil sludge building up on the oil screen. Not sure if I'm understanding that correctly. It seems that as long as I use a synthetic oil like Mobile 1 or Amsoil then I should be OK. But - is there anyway to get to the oil screen to clean/replace it? (and for that matter - what's the difference between the oil screen and the oil filter?)

Also, I have the 2001 engine and I understand that it has an 'internal' water pump instead of an external. Not sure that I understand this - surely the water pump is not internal to the engine itself? What does 'internal' mean in this context?

Thanks!
Jim

Old 03-15-2010, 11:47 AM
4th Gear

You have a 06a motor which has a internal water pump which IIRC runs off of the timing belt.

Here is a water pump for a 058 motor which is used up till 2000. It is turned by the same belt that turns the power steering pump.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:22 PM
1st Gear

Thanks! 1 question down, 2 to go.

(well - and 2 followup questions on the water pump) So as far as the waterpump - 'internal' is referring to the belt that drives it more than to it's physical location? How long do the 'internal' waterpumps last? The previous owner had the timing belt replaced, but he does not know about the waterpump. He didn't specify it, and the shop didnt say anything about it. (I've met the previous owner, I copied his name off the title when I bought the car and he was kind enough to return my call).

Still not sure about the turbo, or the oil screen.

Thanks again.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:05 PM
Tech Slut

Use synthetic oil, I like mobil1... Dont take the engine into boost for the last few minutes of driving and let the car warm up before boosting. This will preserve the turbo alot.
Do a seafoam treatment in all three systems. One in your gas tank, one in your crankcase, and one thru your pcv. This will clean the car out alot. Think of it as a colon cleanse and detox flush lol. Search "seafoam" and you will see what I mean.
Your waterpump should be replaced every time the timing belt is done ~65k miles. No your waterpump is not something that is really "internal" compared to the other ones, its just different and on a different belt.
Use the biggest Mann filter they offer for your car, this will help cool the oil better and prevent cooking which causes sludge. This filter is pretty big, I think its the same one they use on 302 fords.