B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Trouble Removing Wheel/Rim/Lug Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 11:29 PM
1st Gear
Default Trouble Removing Wheel/Rim/Lug Bolts

Hey AF!!

Long time... I haven't posted on this site in ages but I have been checking in and keeping up from time to time. As usual, I'm back here looking for your wisdom... My car has been in storage for years now and I slowly want to start working on it again (-won't be driving it for about another year). A couple months back I spent hours trying to get the wheels off with no success. I tried wiggling them, knocking them lightly with a rubber mallet, using a breaker bar for leverage and endlessly torching the lug bolts (thinking loctite might have been applied to the bolts). I eventually gave up.

I want to tackle this again because I want to pump and rotate the tires and have one tire patched. What are my options if the lug bolts have had loctite applied? And what else could be securing the wheels so strongly (-after about 2-3 hrs I think I got just one bolt off)?

Also, I somewhat recklessly had the car just sitting (in a garage) on 3 tires all this time, which I'm sure might have permanently warped the 3 grounded tires. Will these tires be okay? Is it necessary to set the car on stands?

Thx in advance for any insights!!

Old 11-24-2013, 04:04 AM
Tech Certified

Looking at your location you probably have nature welded lug nuts aka rust. You might have to apply heat to the lug bolts. As far as removing the wheels a large pry bar from lower control arm to the rim is good for leverage. Never beat a rim off.

Old 11-24-2013, 07:48 AM
1st Gear
Talking

Originally Posted by 410ThirtyValve
Hey AF!!

Long time... I haven't posted on this site in ages but I have been checking in and keeping up from time to time. As usual, I'm back here looking for your wisdom... My car has been in storage for years now and I slowly want to start working on it again (-won't be driving it for about another year). A couple months back I spent hours trying to get the wheels off with no success. I tried wiggling them, knocking them lightly with a rubber mallet, using a breaker bar for leverage and endlessly torching the lug bolts (thinking loctite might have been applied to the bolts). I eventually gave up.

I want to tackle this again because I want to pump and rotate the tires and have one tire patched. What are my options if the lug bolts have had loctite applied? And what else could be securing the wheels so strongly (-after about 2-3 hrs I think I got just one bolt off)?

Also, I somewhat recklessly had the car just sitting (in a garage) on 3 tires all this time, which I'm sure might have permanently warped the 3 grounded tires. Will these tires be okay? Is it necessary to set the car on stands?

Thx in advance for any insights!!
When you finally get the wheels off do not use loctite or any thread locker on the bolts when you put them back on. Use anti-seize instead. You also said you are getting a tire patched. Bad idea. Get new tires instead. Yours are surely toast.

Old 11-24-2013, 10:44 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by M5S5
Looking at your location you probably have nature welded lug nuts aka rust. You might have to apply heat to the lug bolts. As far as removing the wheels a large pry bar from lower control arm to the rim is good for leverage. Never beat a rim off.
I did try applying heat with a torch for several minutes and I had no success. I'll definitely give it a shot again using a pry bar, as you've suggested.

The car was always fully enclosed in a garage so it was never exposed to moisture, so I didn't think rust would be a factor for parts not exposed to engine fluids.

Thx for the quick replies!!

Old 11-24-2013, 10:54 AM
1st Gear

@Huskerbob - I definitely won't be applying loctite to them in the future. lol. I'm almost certain loctite must be on there now because those wheels are on really good.

If new tires are needed, then I won't patch that tire but I'll keep these ones on until the car is ready to be driven. I suppose it's better to leave the car on stands?

p.s. ...such a shame, those were brand new Kumho tires are on there; but I was going to switch them out for winter tires anyways.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:19 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by 410ThirtyValve
@Huskerbob - I definitely won't be applying loctite to them in the future. lol. I'm almost certain loctite must be on there now because those wheels are on really good.

If new tires are needed, then I won't patch that tire but I'll keep these ones on until the car is ready to be driven. I suppose it's better to leave the car on stands?

p.s. ...such a shame, those were brand new Kumho tires are on there; but I was going to switch them out for winter tires anyways.
You might get a can of PB Rustblaster and soak those bolts. Spray and tap method seems to work well on bolts. Tapping helps the stuff penetrate and PB is the best IMHO. Good luck. And yes, leave the car on stands henceforth.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:37 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Huskerbob
You might get a can of PB Rustblaster and soak those bolts. Spray and tap method seems to work well on bolts. Tapping helps the stuff penetrate and PB is the best IMHO. Good luck. And yes, leave the car on stands henceforth.
Thx, I'll definitely try that out after first giving it a go with the some heat again. ...way wayy after. lol

Old 11-24-2013, 11:45 AM
1st Gear

Why heat?

Heat will make the lug bolt expand in the hub.

Old 11-24-2013, 12:17 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Frozenguy
Why heat?

Heat will make the lug bolt expand in the hub.
I was thinking it would melt/break up any loctite that might have been used on the bolt threads.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:07 AM
Tech Certified

Heat will loosen rust & melt locktite. I am assuming the car is driven in weather conditions which includes salting the roads. This salt is what causes rust , does not matter if the car is garaged or not. YOU HAVE A RUST ISSUE! You will need heat! Not just a propane torch , you will need oxygen & acetylene to heat to sufficient temp.

Quick Reply: Trouble Removing Wheel/Rim/Lug Bolts