B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Trouble with rear Bose speakers and amp

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 03:03 PM
1st Gear
Default Trouble with rear Bose speakers and amp

some questions...I have the bose concert system (in my 98.5 2.8) with ~6 speakers and have kept the stock radio but I've attached a 4-channel (p4004) fosgate amp to the front door speakers and to an infinity sub. However, I am now changing my set up and want to run the rear 6.5's off of the fosgate instead of the sub (i'm going to do away with the infinity and get a new jl sub and matching jl amp to power the sub and use the fosgate for the rears and front speakers).....MY POINT HERE is that when i try to connect the 6.5s to the amp they have a very distorted/blown, muffled, crackling sound no matter how i tune the amp...but when i reconnect them via the stock radio wires they play with correct clairty and quality...what could I be doing wrong here with my amp set up?? any ideas??

...I will be replacing the head unit later as well, but for now I just want to run the four speakers off of the the fosgate and leave my current infinity amp out of the question...

...if it matters, I had the original set up done at a future shop-best buy and they used an RCA switch. In trying to swith the rears to the aftermarket amp, I simply connected speaker wire from the amp to the rear speakers, and removed the old wiring.
(Naturally, I have searched the forum for an answer already). Thanks in advance.

Old 04-22-2008, 05:01 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Trouble with rear Bose speakers and amp

nothing, your amp is over driving those crappy, probably 20 watt rms, with an amp that is pushing more, a lot more than 20 watts rms....

Old 04-23-2008, 12:09 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Trouble with rear Bose speakers and amp

How can I change the connection so that it is not running as much?? the same amp is currently connected to the front door speakers and there is no problem there....