B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

trouble with power locks

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 10:54 AM
4th Gear
Default trouble with power locks

So, I've been blowing up AF with all my problems, and you fellow Audi lovers have been more than a great help so far. Here's a problem I've just lived with since I bought the car about 6 months ago. The power locks do not work, either locking or unlocking. Neither the key or the button on the door gets the locks to move, but I do hear a buzzing/ humming sound for a few seconds after I try to use them. Thanks again, guys!

Old 08-29-2009, 11:52 AM
Administrator

I have a feeling there might be a vacuum leak or your pump is out.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:15 PM
1st Gear

Not sure if this is youre problem but this is something to look at

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec149.shtml

Old 08-29-2009, 12:22 PM
4th Gear

Wow, looks like I might be a little over my head on this one. But hey, how bad can it be? Thanks guys...

Old 08-29-2009, 12:29 PM
1st Gear

no no man its not hard at all, It always looks hard but when you actually start doing it, it is usually better that what you think it is

Old 08-29-2009, 12:38 PM
4th Gear

Yeah, I was looking through that link you sent, and the link attached within the link, and I'm thinking I found a new weekend project. If I have a vacuum leak somewhere though, might be hard to find... Guess I'll just have to tear into it and find out...

Old 08-29-2009, 12:41 PM
4th Gear

speaking of locks... my driver side lock is tore up (the key goes in but it wont let me turn it) if i got it a new lock put in would i have to replace a bunch of electrical crap cuz of the windows rolling down and power locks and stuff? or can i just do the new lock and be done with it?.... if u see my other post, i dont have a remote either, so if i cant find a remote i will just do this method instead cuz i hate walking to the passenger side everytime to unlock and lock the car lol

Old 08-29-2009, 02:27 PM
4th Gear

So, I tore into it like I said I would. I have good news and bad news: Good, it really wasn't as tough as I though it would be, actually, pretty easy. The bad? Yeah, the internal crap on the pump is shot, so I have to find a replacement. Guess I'm just going to keep using the key for now, but at least I can still get in on the correct side... lol... sorry phil!

Old 08-29-2009, 03:40 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bradtyler02
So, I tore into it like I said I would. I have good news and bad news: Good, it really wasn't as tough as I though it would be, actually, pretty easy. The bad? Yeah, the internal crap on the pump is shot, so I have to find a replacement. Guess I'm just going to keep using the key for now, but at least I can still get in on the correct side... lol... sorry phil!
This was exactly my issue, I searched Craigslist for part outs and bought just the pump for $30 bucks. You can buy the whole module but it would cost a lot more. I got lucky because the donor car had been hit real hard in the rear and the whole central lock module got broken but the pump was OK.

Old 08-29-2009, 03:41 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Mr. Phil
speaking of locks... my driver side lock is tore up (the key goes in but it wont let me turn it) if i got it a new lock put in would i have to replace a bunch of electrical crap cuz of the windows rolling down and power locks and stuff? or can i just do the new lock and be done with it?.... if u see my other post, i dont have a remote either, so if i cant find a remote i will just do this method instead cuz i hate walking to the passenger side everytime to unlock and lock the car lol
Just the lock needs to be replaced. It will then need to be coded to work with your keys.

Quick Reply: trouble with power locks