B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Trouble aligning depo headlights and seat swap question

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 11:08 PM
2nd Gear

It actually looks like the rotation of the passenger side projector is off. It's difficult to tell with such a short distance and what looks like a sloped driveway. See if you can find a level parking lot where you can get ~25 away from a wall for headlight aiming. I like a spot that I've found behind the local Home Depot.

To fix the rotation, you can open up the back of the headlight and loosen the 3 screws that hold the projector in place and try to twist it counter clockwise while tightening. It won't take much.

If the "tiny circles of light" above the cutoff you're referring to are the ones that appear to be near the windows on the garage door, they look to me like the "squirrel finders". Often times there is actually a small hole in the cutoff shield to bleed some light above the cutoff in order to illuminate street signs and stray rodents.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:35 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by bshusted
To fix the rotation, you can open up the back of the headlight and loosen the 3 screws that hold the projector in place and try to twist it counter clockwise while tightening. It won't take much.
Correct me I'm misunderstanding, but are you saying to fix the upwards flare of the cutoff on the sides, you can twist the projector inside the housing?

As an owner with the common leather seat tear, I would be all over those cloth powered seats

Old 12-03-2012, 12:24 AM
2nd Gear

If you look carefully at the first pic, the upward flare on the left cutoff is actually the cutoff from the right side. The hardest part of installing projectors is to make sure that the rotational axis is correct. Not being OEM headlights, it's easy to believe that the passenger side is not quite right.

I've not taken apart Depo parts, but I imagine that they are put together like the Valeo units with three screws holding the projector into the headlight.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:15 AM
1st Gear

I believe you are correct about the passenger side. If you look carefully, the sharp cutoff on the left side of the picture that appears straight is from the LEFT side lenses and I believe this is aligned perfectly.

The less noticable left side cutoff that looks somewhat titled is from the right side. I am not sure if the depo's are supposted to have the cut off match up perfectly or not. I tried adjusting the LATERAL ( I think? the adjustment near the fender, not near the high beam/lowbeam) and I believe it tilted it slightly. I am pretty nervous about adjusting these, I actually over torqued a depo headlight once for my old lexus is before it got totaled. I over tightened the adjustment with my allen key and i heard a "pop". Took the headlight out the light was rattling because the projector was actually not being held in place anymore.

Disability so far doesn't seem to be better/worse then my valeo headlights..drove in bad fog tonight and last night with no problems. I needed to order these though because my headlights were messed up when I got rear ended and it saved me more money by buying depo's over valeos. I am probably gonna put nokya yellow h7 fog bulbs and 5k HIDS in.

the driveway is not slopped, completely flat.. i don't think i held my cell phone camera as straight as possible.

I have leatherette seats too, perfect condition besides one rip on the cushion (left side) I can't imagine why almost every single set of b5 leatherette seats is like this, but it is. The rich people that owned b5's before they traded them in must of kept razors in there pockets or something. I have seen a few sets of the cushion covers for $50 on ebay/craigslist but I'm to lazy to pull out my seat to do the fix

I will take a picture tomorow against a wall at wok.

Last edited by JP121; 12-03-2012 at 01:26 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:24 PM
1st Gear

OP-

I had a set 2 sets of DEPO AM headlights in my 2002 b6. Let me tell you mine looked nothing compared to yours. DEPO must have made a horrible batch as I was unable to adjust the leveling of the lights, once I turned the hex screw the entire mechinisim fell apart and plastic cracked and that was that. This happened on 2 sets of headlights. Finally I gave up and left the lights leveled at where they came stock and that was that. Moral of the story - dont mess with them to much.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:32 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by JP121
thanks for the reply, I think I'm just gonna leave em and order a HID kit this week anyway, are the krauto auto kits good? I don't really like how DDM tuning would take 2 weeks to get to me.. krauto is like 2 hours away.
Hey bud where are you from?