B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Trip flashing "oil"

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 05:32 PM
1st Gear
Default Trip flashing "oil"

Is this supposed to be a reminder to get my oil changed? I just got it changed 3 or 400 miles ago so did they just forget to reset it? Or is it pointing to a problem?

Old 02-20-2008, 05:40 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Trip flashing "oil"

If its just a little light that says oil, then yes it should be the oil change interval light. The dealer is the only place that can re-set this, un-less you have a vag com.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:35 PM
1st Gear

You could try this although it says it's for 98-99.

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec26.shtml

Old 02-20-2008, 08:02 PM
1st Gear

My car has done the same thing a couple times. The first time was about 3000 miles after i bought my car. I parked it on an incline facing upwards and when i got back inside, the odometer screen was flashing "Service Insp" at me. So i had a shop change the oil and reset the code cause i figured it meant time for an oil change.

A couple days ago, i parked in the exact same spot, tilted upward, and it came on again, only this time it says "Service Oil". But this was only 2400 miles after the aforementioned oil change. So i thought to myself, well that's a really short interval for changing synthetic.

So i figure that it's not just a certain mileage interval that'll cause that message. Seems like if you park your car tilted too much, the oil pump gets starved of oil somehow and it says, hey something's wrong, better alert the driver.

But the only times this has happened were directly after being parked on about a 30 degree slope. I think that has something to do with it.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:04 PM
3rd Gear

Make sure the place you brought it to remembered to put oil back in after draining out your old oil. It has happend to more than 1 person before.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:31 PM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: jibberific

My car has done the same thing a couple times. The first time was about 3000 miles after i bought my car. I parked it on an incline facing upwards and when i got back inside, the odometer screen was flashing "Service Insp" at me. So i had a shop change the oil and reset the code cause i figured it meant time for an oil change.

A couple days ago, i parked in the exact same spot, tilted upward, and it came on again, only this time it says "Service Oil". But this was only 2400 miles after the aforementioned oil change. So i thought to myself, well that's a really short interval for changing synthetic.

So i figure that it's not just a certain mileage interval that'll cause that message. Seems like if you park your car tilted too much, the oil pump gets starved of oil somehow and it says, hey something's wrong, better alert the driver.

But the only times this has happened were directly after being parked on about a 30 degree slope. I think that has something to do with it.
the service interval doesn't know whether or not you need oil, its just set to go off at a certain number of miles after you set it

Old 02-20-2008, 09:01 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: chaos92287

the service interval doesn't know whether or not you need oil, its just set to go off at a certain number of miles after you set it
Right. I think the "Service Insp" was a scheduled dealership maintenance thing.

But "Service Oil" less than 3k after an oil change? Pretty weird. Can't be a coincidence that both messages popped up after parking in the same spot, on a considerable incline.

Also, the other day when i was parked on that hill, when i noticed "Service Oil", i started it and tried to continue up the hill. But the motor bogged down and wouldn't rev, like it was starved of fuel. I had to coast backwards all the way down until i got to a flat part, then the engine started acting normal again. I can't help but think all this is somehow tied together.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:02 PM
4th Gear

It's just a service interval indicator. Theres nothing wrong with your car. You don't need to go to a stealership to have it reset. Look in your owners manual. I do oil changes on many different cars and sometimes the customers panic when the indicator stays on even after the oil change. They even expect me to reset it for them, ha! Like I'm supposed to remember all the different procedures for every car that comes in the shop.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:16 PM
1st Gear

ok, i didnt think anything was wrong but i just wanted to make sure. i'll vag it tomorrow. thanks for all the responses.