B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Transmission and Hydraulic Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 08:27 PM
1st Gear
Default Transmission and Hydraulic Fluid

Im going to be doing my timing belt in a couple of weeks and I want to replace all the fluids in my car the brake fluid was just done and I unfortunately just flushed my windshield washer fluid put in about 4 new quarts and lost about 2 on the garage floor. I cant see the leak but im planning on looking for it or replacing the reservoir when I do the TB can anyone tell me if I have headlight washers it doesnt work when I squirt my windshield wipers so I don't know if theyre just broken or I dont have them at all Do these only come with the winter packages? Is there anyway to drain the power steering fluid or do you have to pump it out? I wanted to replace the transmission and the hydraulic fluid does anyone have a preference I plan on getting both from ECS as well as some other things

Old 09-19-2009, 09:10 PM
2nd Gear

The headlight sprayers did only come with the winter package as far as I know. If you dont have the little covers on the front bumper, you most likely don't have the sprayers. If you do have the covers, try spraying your windshield with the headlights on, that is when the headlight sprayer system activates. If nothing still happens, there's a chance of either bad wiring, or an unplugged connector to the system.

As far as the fluids, I'm not sure about changing out the PS fluid. I would think that removing one of the hoses from the system would let it drain out effectively, but I could be wrong. For the tranny fluid, go with Redline. If you have a manual, it'll be 75w-90 gear oil, if automatic/tip, it'll just be the standard Redline ATF- both of which are available on ECS for a reasonable price. For the PS fluid, go with pentosin. I can't remember the exact name of it, but the bottle should say something along the lines of "mineral based hydraulic fluid" and "for power steering" somewhere on it.

Old 09-19-2009, 11:12 PM
Default I think

you should not mix Pentosin 7.1 and 11S fluids, you can only use CHF 11S oterwise you will f..up your steering rack.

How to flush PS:

1. Use suction gun and 1 liter of 11S or OEM (synthetic), make sure wheels are straight
2. Take the screen out, wash it with carb cleaner
3. Suck all the fluid out, put new one in (observe correct level).
4. Replace the cap, turn the steering wheel (car is off) from one to another side, then straighten the wheels
5. Repeat step 3, be amazed that just doing step 4 pushed a lot of crappy fluid back
6. Do 3rd run like above
7. For the forth run, fill up, this time you will start car for exactly 3 seconds - this will cause the PS pump to recycle the whole reservoir
8. Repeat step 3

I got 2 bottles and did it until I ran out of fluid.

Old 09-19-2009, 11:19 PM

I actually bought from VW dealer, it was much cheaper than Penthosine one.

Old 09-19-2009, 11:21 PM
1st Gear

Dont I have 7.1 in there now the bentley manual says to use G 002 000 or G 002 012 and how can i move the wheels when the car is off the steering wheel will just lock

Old 09-19-2009, 11:22 PM

All in all, I flushed all my fluids:
1. Rear diff: Royal Purple MaxGear 75W90 (GL5)
2. Gearbox and transfer case (share fluid) Redline MT-90 (it has to be GL4, GL5 not good here)
3. PS: OEM
4. Brakes: Ate 200 (same as Ate Superblue, just no dye)

Old 09-19-2009, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Pjbrof
Dont I have 7.1 in there now the bentley manual says to use G 002 000 or G 002 012 and how can i move the wheels when the car is off the steering wheel will just lock
Nope, put the key in, turn it, just don't crank
Well, ideally you should have wheels off the ground, I was too lazy, I did with the wheels on the ground, tough but, remember the times when there was no PS pumps in cars

As for 7.1 vs. 11s, you are not supposed to mix them like half/half or any other significant portion. That's why I took 2 liters and kept flushing until I was out of fluid. Make sure you have enough for the last fill-up

Old 09-19-2009, 11:28 PM
1st Gear

No sorry little too young for that lol by the time I was born power steering had about as much hype as sliced bread

Old 09-19-2009, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Pjbrof
No sorry little too young for that lol by the time I was born power steering had about as much hype as sliced bread
Well, believe or not, in some parts of the world they still made cars with no PS, I drove a Yugo which was made in mid 90-ties, still no PS.

Old 09-20-2009, 06:07 PM
1st Gear

As far as the washer fluid goes. There are 2 pumps in the tank. The windshield one is in the bottom of the tank and the headlight one is about 1/2 way up in the tank. My headlight pump was cracked and let the fluid out to below that level. I took the cracked pump out and RTV'd the hole and will deal without the headlight washers.

Quick Reply: Transmission and Hydraulic Fluid