B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Tranny knocking/Grinding HELP!! PLEASE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 11:14 PM
Default Tranny knocking/Grinding HELP!! PLEASE!!!

Hi there everyone,
ok i have a 1996 audi a4 2.8 quattro. it has well over 200k miles on it and the transmission makes a very harsh grinding sound in first gear. but not in any other gear. Then in every gear it knocks. and only just recently has the knocking gotten worse. i drove it about 2 hours on the highway today and it was getting hard to downshift or upshift at all. Does anyone have any ideas? I really need help. Thanks!
MATT

Old 09-05-2008, 11:34 PM
4th Gear

I don't know much about the MT but maybe the syncros are going out???

Josh

Old 09-05-2008, 11:53 PM
3rd Gear

what do you mean knock? like theres side to side slop when you take your foot off the gas or something? i would check out your transmission mounts. they are probably pretty worn after 12 years of service.

for the first gear grinding, is it just when you go to put the shifter in gear? or is it when it is in gear and your hand is off the stick entirely? was there a teenage girl that drove the car before you? :P

if its grinding when you go to put it in gear and you have the clutch on the floor, its probably your clutch not completely disengaging. if its easy to push the lever into the gear with the clutch up, the synchros arent stopping it and are probably worn/gone.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:55 AM
4th Gear

drain the gearbox and throw in some gm synchromesh, the synchros eventually start to wear out and the gm synchromesh has the conditions and such for the gears. if anything its worth a try, it got rid of my second gear synchro grind.

Old 09-06-2008, 01:36 AM
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by ghost6303

for the first gear grinding, is it just when you go to put the shifter in gear?
If this is true, try reving the engine to around 2k rpm's before you shift to 1st and see if it does not grind. If it doesn't it's got to be a bad synchro. If you are trying to shift into 1st rolling to a stop, don't do that. If you are shifting into first at any speed above 5 mph, im going to slap you
But at 200k+ just be prepared for the worst. Audi 5spd tranny's are tough, but not invincible. Synchros should be the first thing to go. Considering the labor involved to replace the synchros, you might as well check out www.car-part.com for a lower mileage replacement.

Old 09-06-2008, 11:42 AM
3rd Gear

Mine also makes noise in first gear and ONLY in first gear. It isn't really bad yet but it only happens when your accelerating in first when you coast in first its quiet. Mine only has 130k miles on it and I tried changing the fluids w/ no change at all. Mine however shifts just fine w/ no side effects what so ever just a noise. But in your case I would suspect the worst and assume you need a transmission because that just sounds like its ready to blow.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:31 PM

When im at a stand still and the engine is ideling in neutrel with the clutch engaged it makes a chattering sound coming from the transmission. Then as you start out in first gear there is a destinct grinding sound that is very loud. Then when you shift into second the grinding is completely gone, but the chattering sound is present through all the gears while driving normally. Its so very hard to explain

Matt

Old 09-06-2008, 02:02 PM
Site Moderator

I would say your clutch and throw out bearing is toasted.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:25 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by auditech79
I would say your clutch and throw out bearing is toasted.
Agreed, especially if there is a grinding sensation in the clutch pedal.

Old 09-07-2008, 01:05 PM

The knocking sound, would that be the threw out bearing?

Quick Reply: Tranny knocking/Grinding HELP!! PLEASE!!!