B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Tranny Install Woes-Need Troubleshooting Advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 11:49 PM
1st Gear
Default Tranny Install Woes-Need Troubleshooting Advice

Well, installed a used and tested tranny out of an 01 passat with the same tranny code (EZZ) as my 2.8L 2001 A4 auto. Everything is hooked up and installed correctly. Now, I am a mechanic, not for Audi, however for Caterpillar, so the product line is obviously different.

So basically I can start the car and it acts normally in park and neutral, it will rev, etc. etc. HOWEVER, when I put it into any gear, forward or reverse, the engine rpm's SLIGHTLY decrease from idle and any input to the throttle does nothing, almost like something in the tranny is causing the engine from revving???

I really just want some feedback to hear what others have to say. I have not looked into it quite yet, I did not have time tonight, just got these results and left for the night.

Tomorrow or this weekend I will drain the fluid and drop the pan to ensure that the filter is properly installed and that the seal is undamaged. I'm thinking that if the filter is damaged/altogether missing, that the pump would not be receiving fluid considering that the filter serves as a fluid pickup. And if the pump is not receiving fluid/enough fluid, that the pressures would not be high enough to operate the transmissino properly and could be causing my symptoms???

Any advice??

Thanks

Old 06-26-2009, 12:01 AM
4th Gear

Or coding in the TCM...

Old 06-26-2009, 09:39 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Midniteoyl
Or coding in the TCM...
Can you explain more please..

Old 06-26-2009, 09:01 PM
4th Gear

IDK, I was thinking that maybe the because the tranny came from a Passat, the coding for it could be different: gear selection range, TCU to ECU, whatever... Something to look in to.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:44 PM
1st Gear

with my experience with other makes, the programming is actually in the TCM, so it would not make a difference in the tranny being from a passat, the TCM can command it to do whatever the tranny from the a4 would have.

Thanks though

Old 06-26-2009, 11:48 PM
5th Gear

well check your axles first. if they are out of the socket, your car won't move.

Old 06-27-2009, 12:23 AM
4th Gear

Ok.. are you saying that in gear, the throttle has no effect what-so-ever? The engine will not rev? Does it try? Does it bog? Can you try it with the wheels off the ground?

If the engine does not rev at all in gear, then something is disabling the drive-by-wire system. There could have been a software revision between your old tranny and this one, or even a single wiring change. You know that different TCMs have different revision numbers and that each one needs to match what you had before, or be compatible, with your tranny and ECU revision.

If it tries to rev, but bogs, then I would say something is up with the tranny or install mechanically, like the converter not fully engaged/out of alignment creating a serious load.

If it revs fine, but goes nowhere, then the fluid pump could be broke, the axles are not fully engaged, something like that.

Have you made sure the brakes are not engaged?

Last edited by Midniteoyl; 06-27-2009 at 12:29 AM.
Old 06-27-2009, 01:02 AM
3rd Gear

*Too much of too little ATF will arrect the operation of the transmission. The ATF level must be checked at regular intervals.

*The oil level is correct only if a slight amount of oil runs out when the ATF temperature is between 30*C and 45*C (caused by increase in oil level when heated).

*ATF level check when transmisison oil temperature is too low results in overfilling; when too high results in underfilling.
from the audi repair manual

Old 06-28-2009, 01:26 AM
1st Gear

Ok guys thanks for the responses. here are a few answers to some questions.

Vehicle was tested tires in air, CV's hooked up with tires off.

Brakes not engaged.

Measured torque converter as per 23mm spec in book.

I just filled with fluid until it came out of the fill hole as a start until I could get the fluid warmed up a bit.

It revs fine in neutral and park, however any drive gear and it will not rev. Im not sure that it bogs persay but I can double check that later, however, it does not matter the amount of throttle input you give it, it does nothing..

Old 06-28-2009, 01:28 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by nhill2090
Ok guys thanks for the responses. here are a few answers to some questions.

Vehicle was tested tires in air, CV's hooked up with tires off.

Brakes not engaged.

Measured torque converter as per 23mm spec in book.

I just filled with fluid until it came out of the fill hole as a start until I could get the fluid warmed up a bit.

It revs fine in neutral and park, however any drive gear and it will not rev. Im not sure that it bogs persay but I can double check that later, however, it does not matter the amount of throttle input you give it, it does nothing..

Oh, and this was all done with the engine on the cherry picker and the tranny still on the tranny jack. I wanted to double check things for just this reason before I bolted the subframe and exhaust back up..

Quick Reply: Tranny Install Woes-Need Troubleshooting Advice