B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Track rod help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 12:59 PM
1st Gear
Default Track rod help!!!!

Hey there ring lovers! I just finished up the replacement of a rear wheel bearing on my 98 A4 Quattro 2.8l V6.
When removing the A-arm I needed a ball joint fork to remove the arm from the track rod(not sure if that the right term but thats what my service manual says). When the joint finally let loose it let loose quite violently. Now I have everything back in place and I can't tighten the new nut on the the bolt that goes through.
The original nut was a Nylon Lock nut and I replaced it with the exact same size and thread but the bolt just spins before the nut is even all the way on. I could really use some help here ad I need to get back behind the wheel of my baby soon! Thanks much and happy driving!

PS. I attached a picture of what im dealing with. Its the outside(wheel) end of number 34 or the track rod that is causing me problems. Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Track rod help!!!!-screen-shot-2012-02-09-9.57.48-am.jpg  
Old 02-09-2012, 02:04 PM
1st Gear

I think the order by which you re-connect the bolts matters. It's easier I think if you do it a certain way.

Don't fully tighten the nuts until you have load on the suspension -- use a jack to simulate riding height and then torque to spec.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:44 PM
1st Gear

Redmond, Thanks for the reply. I got the nut one every other joint on part way on without a load but this one wont even hit the nylon in the lock nut before the bolt starts spinning. I lowered the car onto its wheels and tightened everything up while loaded but this one nut still wont go on properly.
I had a co-worker suggest finding a slot on the end of the bolt and using a slotted driver to hold it while you wrench on the bolt. Has this been done before? Im going to try it when I get home.... Thanks.