B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Totalled audi a4 2.8L quattro

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 02:14 PM
1st Gear
Unhappy Totalled audi a4 2.8L quattro

so i was recently in a minor front end collision and it was the other ladies fault. problem is that i have been dealing with them and they just recently considered the car a total loss. after 4000 dollars worth of damage. i wanted to know what would happen if i took the money and registered the car as a salvage? also they are paying it off to the bank so i would come out not owing a dime to the bank. this is also good cuz then im free to buy another car. so what is the best option for me? should i just sell them the car and get the extra bit of money and use that for a down payment? thanks for the opinions.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:28 PM

sell it and buy a 1.8t =)p

Old 08-13-2008, 03:14 PM
3rd Gear

ya man just sell it and buy another one, if you dont want a 1.8 than get another 2.8 but you dont want a salvage titled car.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:11 PM
5th Gear

it's not that bad having a salvaged titled car. my friend's dad is a dealer and his family cars are all salvaged. his insurance isn't affected either. let's see some pics so we can see how bad it is

Old 08-13-2008, 07:11 PM

Hiwords, if there's $4k in damage done I don't think we want to see the pics of it!

But yeah, I wouldn't keep the car as a salvaged title... just get a new one. Much more options, and plus when it comes time to resell, you actually will be able to!

Old 08-13-2008, 08:13 PM
4th Gear

dude its audi, i remember my buudy hit a curb in his A4 and even though only the bumper and the control arms on one side were damaged it still came out somehting like $2300

Old 08-13-2008, 09:33 PM
1st Gear

there's plenty of cheap replacements to buy out there... but if you want to...

fix it chop shop style on the cheap, drive it, and pocket the difference. Salvage title isn't that big of a deal since you already got paid for the car... just work the numbers and see if it makes sense. I got quotes to fix my recently front end damage car and they said $4100 to fix with no insurance coverage. I'm half assing the repair by doing my own work for about $1200 or so. It will look and drive fine, just no one on this forum is going to buy it

edit: oh and post pics! you can easily pull the bumper to see what the real damage is beyond needing a hood and bumper (about $600 plus tax)

Last edited by kendalll; 08-13-2008 at 09:36 PM. Reason: addtional info
Old 08-13-2008, 09:57 PM

I will give you $20 if your floor mats are grey....

Old 08-13-2008, 10:19 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by mrp0p1nfr3sh
so i was recently in a minor front end collision and it was the other ladies fault. problem is that i have been dealing with them and they just recently considered the car a total loss. after 4000 dollars worth of damage. i wanted to know what would happen if i took the money and registered the car as a salvage? also they are paying it off to the bank so i would come out not owing a dime to the bank. this is also good cuz then im free to buy another car. so what is the best option for me? should i just sell them the car and get the extra bit of money and use that for a down payment? thanks for the opinions.
Actually, depending on what state you are in, you will not end up with a "Rebuilt" Title.

Salvage is a certificate in many states, and you cannot title it with the certificate. You have to have the car inspected and then you will get a title. Not a safety inspection, an inspection to check the number of hidden VIN's (by the State Police) to make sure that no parts are stolen. Then you can get the thing inspected.

However, you have the title. If you keep the car, they will typically just deduct a certain amount from your settlement (a couple of friends just went through this in Maryland...) Nothing happens to your title. In your case, the check may go to your bank, and then you may get a lien release, not sure here as my two recent examples were already free and clear titles.

SO, then you can fix to your hearts content, or not.

I have seen many cars end up with a clear title when they are really screwed up and fixed by the insurance company. Then I have seen stolen or abandoned cars with salvage history and everyone is afraid to buy the ones that really have nothing wrong with them.

Carfax is a marketing scam...

The above and many other examples are what makes CARFAX worthless as t's on a bull.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:17 AM
1st Gear

yeah the damage isnt much. i mean its just a bent hood, fender bumper, messed up headlight and a messed up right side headlight washer. other than that its pretty good. i think i might of messed the passenger front side suspension because after the accident it didn't drive the same. also i am looking for either a 30V audi a4 or a 1.8t a4. both in quattro variants. so if anyone knows of some being sold in southern california i would appreciate it. i live in anaheim. sadly i think i have to get rid of my beauty.... she was black with a black and tan interior.

Quick Reply: Totalled audi a4 2.8L quattro