B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Today's mod - HID foglights

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 12:11 AM
2nd Gear

Funny I was thinking the same thing lol. Once I do get around to getting those adjusted I feel sorry for the poor SOB that has to deal with me turning down my high beams if I have my fogs on when he's coming towards me lol.

Last edited by jiggleo; 01-24-2010 at 12:16 AM.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:45 AM
Administrator

I haven't gotten beamed by anyone (my lows are aimed right and my fogs, if anything, need to be brought up a little). I have, however, gotten out on an unlit back road and the biggest difference I see is the intensity of light just in front of the car where all four beams mix. The light pattern is actually greater than 180 degrees too, since the angle of the fog lenses allows them to throw light a little backward. Given that a 6000k bulb has over four times the luminosity of a halogen bulb, it's not surprising that the light reaches a lot farther off to the sides than the halogen fogs ever hoped to. The combined area of illumination is very large. I can practically light up the doorbell buttons on houses I pass, sitting 30-40 feet back from the road.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:57 AM
5th Gear

hey mark you should put up bigger pictures lol. you two have some serious light on the ground lol. i forget if the fogs are adjustable left and right or up and down but the thing on the side of the housing facing the front is the adjuster. i just met a kid with a B6 1.8t 2night with a turbo that glows at idle. anybody wanna do some work on a 4 banger for a change?

Old 01-24-2010, 01:06 AM
Administrator

Mark can use the adjusters easily enough since he's a facelift car and has all the OEM mount points to index them. Since I'm pre-facelift I don't have that so I'll have to shim either the mount bolts or the brackets I made to secure them. Plus I'm lowered too so that exacerbates the need to aim them up a bit more.

As for the 1.8T you met, do you really even need to ask? Bring it

Old 01-24-2010, 09:16 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by hiwords
hey mark you should put up bigger pictures lol. you two have some serious light on the ground lol. i forget if the fogs are adjustable left and right or up and down but the thing on the side of the housing facing the front is the adjuster. i just met a kid with a B6 1.8t 2night with a turbo that glows at idle. anybody wanna do some work on a 4 banger for a change?
Yeah I didn't bother to resize or anything. I was on my way out for a night of drinking and takes precedence lol.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Did you get them aimed right yet or are you still drinking?

Old 01-25-2010, 06:19 PM
2nd Gear

neither actually

Old 01-25-2010, 06:53 PM
Administrator

So whatcha waiting for bro? Time's wasting

Old 01-26-2010, 03:36 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
I haven't gotten beamed by anyone (my lows are aimed right and my fogs, if anything, need to be brought up a little). I have, however, gotten out on an unlit back road and the biggest difference I see is the intensity of light just in front of the car where all four beams mix. The light pattern is actually greater than 180 degrees too, since the angle of the fog lenses allows them to throw light a little backward. Given that a 6000k bulb has over four times the luminosity of a halogen bulb, it's not surprising that the light reaches a lot farther off to the sides than the halogen fogs ever hoped to. The combined area of illumination is very large. I can practically light up the doorbell buttons on houses I pass, sitting 30-40 feet back from the road.
I like 'em! I notice the same things with my 8000k fogs. It illuminates so much more than just having the headlights on.

Old 10-02-2010, 05:18 PM
1st Gear

Paging ImTheDevil:

I read through the entire thread and I'm assuming the HID fog light upgrade mod uses non-projector fog housings (face-lift fog lights are non-projector right?).

If it is non-projector, it's obviously working out okay?

I have 6000k HID in 2 piece Depo projector housings which have been awesome. What I would like to do is put 3000k HID fogs as I do a lot of highway driving in the winter. I thought I had to find projector housings for the fogs so I wouldn't blind people.

Hopefully you don't mind straightening this out for me.

Quick Reply: Today's mod - HID foglights