B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Today's mod - HID foglights

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 06:58 PM
Administrator
Default Today's mod - HID foglights

Today I installed a set of 6000k HIDs in my foglights. I know some people go with a 3000k kit for the amber beam, but I wanted to match the look of my headlights and maximize light output. I found that I had to upgrade the power wire leading to the fogs - my car is a pre-facelift and I used 16 gauge wire when I first installed the fogs, since they were halogens. Being that an HID system draws less current, it shouldn't have been an issue but nonetheless I had to upgrade the power wire to a 14 gauge. Once that was done, it was a cakewalk and they worked great.

A few pics:

Light output is great. The roads are wet here so I can't get a maximum light output picture, but once they dry up I will go out and take a few with only headlights and with headlights plus fogs. Overall though, absolutely worth the money. Looks pimp and seems to work very well

Last edited by ImTheDevil; 01-31-2010 at 10:35 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:20 PM
2nd Gear

dude those came out awesome.. in the planning for my new headlight setup (which happens to be identical to yours, two piece depo/helix with 6000k and facelift fogs) i considered doing 6000k.. or halogens with yellow lamin-x.. or leave them regular halogen.. or possibly the ziza platinum whites from ECS.. but after seeing these i think i just might go the extra and do HID.. really looks sharp

Old 01-18-2010, 07:22 PM
2nd Gear

lights look really good the color fits ur car as well. nice job

Old 01-18-2010, 07:26 PM
4th Gear

where or how did u get the fogs if ur prefacelift? ive been wanting to get my fogs in my bumper but dont know how or where

Old 01-18-2010, 07:28 PM
Administrator

Thanks guys. Osin, I'd definitely do the xenons. Screw the lamin-x. If you want an amber beam go with 3000k but for my preferences, this was the only way. Next up for this is the relay mod to allow the fogs to run independently of the headlights, so that in fog or heavy snow, I can light up the road with those, without blinding myself from the low beams reflecting back in my face.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Phil, I bought the lamps, bezels, and grilles from a facelift part-out. And there's a DIY on AudiWorld that will give you the basics on setting them up in the bumper. For wiring, ground the negative on the body and for the positive, use a splice tap on the green/white wire in the headlight harness attached to the corner of the headlamp housing (that's the stock fog wire). That way you use the stock fog switch to run them.

Last edited by ImTheDevil; 01-18-2010 at 08:23 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:44 PM
4th Gear

sounds confusing lol... i didnt know that the face lift fogs would fit in the bumper, i thought it was some special aftermarket **** lol.. well now i found a new project to work on haha

Old 01-18-2010, 08:15 PM
Administrator

Phil, here's the DIY - it's pretty easy really. You have to make some brackets but there's nothing to it.

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec90.shtml

The fogs do fit the bumper - you just need to get the facelift grilles and the fog bezels as well. It's not a hard DIY and it is a nice improvement.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:37 PM
4th Gear

So.. On my '96 A6, my grill has the lower fog 'cutouts'.. could I add some also? That would be really cool to have the fogs in the headlights and lowers on at the same time

BTW.. Those look really good, devil.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:47 PM
Administrator

No reason why you couldn't add them since later A6s of your car's generation had them. You would want to power them separately from the OEM fogs in the headlamp housings though since if you tapped the factory wires to power a second set of fogs, you'd likely exceed the rating of the fuse. I wouldn't up the fuse to a higher amperage either because you risk exceeding the power rating of the individual lamps and could damage them. Put a second OEM fog switch into a switch blank spot for them or mount one beneath the dash and you'd be fine, as long as the power for each set was kept separate.

Quick Reply: Today's mod - HID foglights