B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

tiptronic vs 5 speed manual

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 10:12 PM
1st Gear

so the gears in the tip arent nearly the same as the manual gears?

Old 02-28-2010, 10:16 PM
4th Gear

i have no idea... i was only answering your question about who would win in a race lol

Old 02-28-2010, 10:27 PM
2nd Gear

i think that the tiptronic would win as it takes you longer to change gears on a manual meaning that you have to push the clutch and stuff and the tip does it really smooth not loosing any time on changing gears
this is just my personal opinion

Old 02-28-2010, 10:40 PM
4th Gear

in newer cars yes like the evo x and gtr and such... but with olders like ours no (i only say this cuz i raced my friend in his gf's scion tc in a scion loaner 5spd i had back when i had a new car) and i won by about a half car

Old 02-28-2010, 11:12 PM
Site Moderator

The tip trans in the A4 is rather weak, it can only handle around 275 horsepower without any problems. If you go past that the torque converter will blow up, the clutches will slip and burn up etc.
As far as racing history, automatics are faster, but not in an A4. A 5 speed is a much better car.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:58 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Mr. Phil

hey vgo... how'd u like canada winning gold in hockey over usa? i was happy lol
^.^

Old 03-01-2010, 12:51 AM
Tech Slut

Originally Posted by Mr. Phil
no offense to you... but if we both had the same car u had auto i had manual, i'd win lol.... ive been driving and racing manual trans for a loooong *** time... well i used to... but i can out drive pretty much anyone (without an extensive race background pro/amatuer)
hahahaha this is just funny... someone ate his wheaties this morning
Originally Posted by Tourbo24
i think that the tiptronic would win as it takes you longer to change gears on a manual meaning that you have to push the clutch and stuff and the tip does it really smooth not loosing any time on changing gears
this is just my personal opinion
not even close. you can power shift an a4 manual very fast. And if you have a wotbox with ignition cutting then you maintain boost through the shift instead of losing it out the dv/bov.
Originally Posted by auditech79
The tip trans in the A4 is rather weak, it can only handle around 275 horsepower without any problems. If you go past that the torque converter will blow up, the clutches will slip and burn up etc.
As far as racing history, automatics are faster, but not in an A4. A 5 speed is a much better car.
yes they are pretty weak, torque kills them. And the racing thing: yes, autos are faster in drag racing when they are built and/or have a trans brake. Otherwise really launching is near impossible.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:44 AM
2nd Gear

i was thinking about stock everything.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:59 AM
Administrator

IMO, I'd be more worried about where/how/when you drive every day than "what would be better in a drag race" realistically, the former is far more important than the latter. i believe the tiptronic has slightly shorter gears than the 5spd, maybe Mike or AudiTech can back me up on that one. The tiptronic is basically an automatic, but rather than having the + and - down on the shifter lever like other shift-able automatics, you get two little buttons on the steering wheel.

I have a 5 spd. and love it, even in DC traffic. Phil also drives his every day in SoCal, where the traffic is worse than DC. That said, if you think you'd get bored driving an Auto, get the stick. If you don't think you wanna deal with your left leg getting tired from clutching in stop and go traffic, get the auto. Do you already know how to drive a 5 spd?

Old 03-01-2010, 10:36 AM
1st Gear

Yea I know how to drive 5speed manual. I'm gonna search for a damn used audi m
anual haha. I love the audi a4 1.8t's. L.a traffic in stop n go isn't that bad. I use to have a nissan sentra spec v and I loved it but had to get rid of it. So clutching for me is no problem

Quick Reply: tiptronic vs 5 speed manual