B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

tiptronic issues, anyone else have them?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 08:46 PM
1st Gear
Default tiptronic issues, anyone else have them?

so, ive got a 99 1.8Q with the tiptronic tranny, and ive been noticing that it doesnt run too smoothly.

sometimes after putting it back in Drive after being in tiptronic mode it sticks in gear for a few seconds before shifting. seems like it has trouble shifting when its supposed to.

and the other day i pressed the gas and its like it wasnt even engaged cause it was just reving like i was in neutral.

anyone else have issues?

whats the expected life on these?

Old 12-03-2008, 09:55 PM
4th Gear

when its in D, it all depends on how you drive. if your heavy on the pedal it will hold it out to red line.. i know what your talking about.. ive done that a few times where im looking at my rpms and saying WTF SHIFT! then it eventually does

Old 12-03-2008, 10:16 PM
4th Gear

its true the tcu for the tip is a learning computer so it conforms to your driving habits. when im just cruising i have it D and it shifts below 3 but when in tip it shifts when i say so so usually around 5k, putting it back into D it just becomes a bit sluggish.

Old 12-05-2008, 03:41 PM
1st Gear

ahh, goch ya.

so its really just "trying" to make my life easier.

wouldnt have guessed

Old 12-09-2008, 02:47 AM
1st Gear

Depending on the mileage of your car, it wouldn't hurt to change your transmission filter and also the fluid. No matter what Audi says, it is NOT lifetime fluid. The genuine fluid is about $15 a quart (discount price) and you'll need about 7 quarts so it's pretty pricey for the fluid alone. But better than paying for a new transmission of course!

Old 12-09-2008, 03:47 AM
4th Gear

I wouldn't hurt to at least check the fluid level.

You can also use a vagcom to check the solenoids. Could be any of a number of things, or nothing.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:35 PM
1st Gear

hmmm, anyone know where i can het a hold on a DIY for a transmission fluid change?

Old 12-09-2008, 01:35 PM
4th Gear

audidiy.com

Old 12-09-2008, 11:38 PM
1st Gear

I've had good luck so far with my Tip and I have 150K

Make sure the shop does not do a flush or dialysis as this will release sluge from the walls of the tranny and destory the trans in short time.

Do only an oil & filter change which is about 8 liters & make sure they follow the service manual instructions for reaching trans operation temp with the use of VAG software.

Oil has to be for your trans...I use Pentosin ATF1

Old 03-13-2009, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by rally2
I've had good luck so far with my Tip and I have 150K

Make sure the shop does not do a flush or dialysis as this will release sluge from the walls of the tranny and destory the trans in short time.

Do only an oil & filter change which is about 8 liters & make sure they follow the service manual instructions for reaching trans operation temp with the use of VAG software.

Oil has to be for your trans...I use Pentosin ATF1
Does not do a transmission flush? I just had a transmission flush with my timing belt, and I get a jerk after gear changes, sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't does this mean my tranny is ruined? My car also seems slower than before.

Quick Reply: tiptronic issues, anyone else have them?