B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Tips for a new buyer

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Lol you would be giving it to maintain the thing.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:46 AM
1st Gear

i think all audi's recommend premium...i know my 4.2L A8 does.

I am a new audi owner and from what i have researched/understand there are 2 things to watch for, engine sludge and cars that have neglected to be maintained properly by someone who knows how to work on audi's and has the proper tools.

keep in mind i am a noob and free advice is worth every penny

Old 03-28-2011, 03:15 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bradtyler02
The ONLY major difference between the B5 A4s and S4 is the badge, the price, and, oh, the 2.7 liter twin turbo beast under the hood, better suspension, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, a 6 speed manual (might be wrong, may be the later years).

Unless you're looking for a newer one: In 2004, the S4 was given the 4.2 V8.

This link's for you
Reason I ask is I have seen a few cars advertised with an "s" package. The cars still only had the 1.8T and from what I could tell, nothing really different. I am well aware there is a difference between an a4 and an s4. Just wondering if the "s package" would be faulty advertising or if it was a leggit factory option.

How about anyone else out there....any real world fuel mileage numbers???????? Out of the thousands of members on this site, there have got to be a few who care enough to calculate their fuel mileage.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:54 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by HighSierra86
Hey guys, I may be looking to purchase an audi a4 in the very near future as i need a nice commuter car. Ive done a little bit of reasearch, but you can never have too much information. I had a few questions regarding a purchase.

I would be looking for a quattro model with a manual trans, and the newer the better. From what I have read the 99.5' models are a good pick...correct? Is there any sure sign to ID one of these cars? or just look for the build date?

I am no stranger to buying and selling vehicles, but are there any signs or problems to look out for? I am mechanically inclined and do all my own maint. and repairs so I have a little backround info here, just curious if there are any model/year specific problems.

Now just out of curiosity...what exactly was different on the s-line models? Anything other than the badge???

Thanks for any help, and if there is a link somewhere to all these questions id gladly accept that too!

-Nick
There are a few differences between the 99 and 99.5...but i don't know them, im sure someone else will post that

Most Audi's burn more oil than is necessary, especially older ones. Also, its common for an a4 to have broken cruise control. Just know that repairs at the dealer are expensive, and even if you do all of them yourself, new parts will be more costly than, say, any american or japanese car.

Standard A4s have a 1.8l 4 cylinder turbo or a 2.8l 6 cylinder non turbo. The S4s have a 2.7l v6 biturbo. So new engine. There are also differences with the interior, the exterior is fully painted, compared to A4s that have an unpainted lip of plastic all around. The S4 also has a 6 speed manual

Old 03-28-2011, 03:56 PM
1st Gear

as for fuel consumption, i kind of have a lead foot but still manage about 23 highway 19 city.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:17 PM
2nd Gear

the "s" package gives the chrome around the windows, the different badges, i believe it includes the sport steering wheel and maybe the sport suspension.

the difference of the 99.5 models is they still have the AEB engine(so older style engine, unline the ATW int he 2000, and the AWM in 2001), bigger ports, easier to upgrade and more in existence if you blow your engine.

the 99.5+ is a "face lift" model, they redid the center console, and radio area, changed rear lights and switched form 2 piece headlights to 1 piece lights. the new radio bezel now supports and usually has, a 2-din radio allowing for more options if you plan to go for after market. laos the 99.5 and up also include fog lights.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:48 PM
1st Gear

Hey just to round out the list here is the differences in facelift 1999.5 models:
Exterior:
-Headlights became one piece projectors
-Taillights became all red with lower white stripe
-Badges for model and engine were lowered to mid trunk height
-Fender turn signals went from amber squares to clear rectangles
-Rub rail on doors became more broad and streamlined
-Fog lights in the bumper grilles were added
-Door mirrors became same size on both sides and more angular
-Door handles now are the newer style, not as flush, more rounded
Interior:
-Center console has smaller top row function buttons
-Center console has double din radio with modern climate control now placed lower
-Ashtray is redesigned and doesn't have the cig lighter inside it
-Cig lighter now pops up next to the handbrake
-Cupholders are now bigger and located under armrest

That sums up the differences I can think of, and I do know most of them... Yes I am Audi obsessed lol... This should definitely be more than enough info to tell facelifts apart from non facelifts!

Old 04-02-2011, 12:54 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by HighSierra86
Im not sure I have ever even seen an A4 non-turbo. If they were made, they arent very common. Im not worried about a turbo replacement or rebuild, the only thing i dislike about a turbo is the need for premium fuel.
I own a 2.8 V6 (non turbo) and she too loves the premium fuel. I love my daily driver. Doesn't get great gas mileage, but its fun to drive and reliable and predictable in North NJ winters. Turbo versions are the ones to get, Avants are even better.

Old 04-02-2011, 03:00 AM
Site Moderator/B5 Tech Guru