B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Tintssss.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 12:53 AM
2nd Gear

[QUOTE=A4Cragman;1111902]Do they split the windows anywhere else? In your case, can you not go below 35% anywhere on the car or just on the front windows?QUOTE]

No, that'd be nice but here it's an all around law. 35% on all glass and we're allowed a strip on the top of the windshield to reduce glare. I'm thinking 20% all around on my silver car will look good and look darker because of the black. I still need to see though lol. I wish there was someone around me with 20% that I could drive with at night. THATs what I'm worried about. 5% is too dark for me though.

Old 08-05-2009, 02:04 AM
2nd Gear

Ah. Lucky, you get an extra ~10% leeway for your fronts. I could live with that limit, to be honest. I think I could sacrifice not being able to take the rear half as dark as I can now for being able to get the front a little darker.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:32 AM
Administrator

In VA it's 35% on the back 3 (or 5 windows if you count the lil quarter glass), 50% on the front 2, and nothin on the windshield. I was never a big fan of tinting different windows to different darknesses, always thought it looked funny, so i just went 50% all the way around. I dunno if i have any good pics of the windows, lemme look...

Old 08-05-2009, 10:27 AM
4th Gear

Well for those that live in states were you can put tint on the front door windows you guys are very lucky, here in CA the law is NO tint on the front windows period. I know people that have been pulled over for tint on the front windows even though they are "factory" tinted and even after looking at the windows and running their hands over the window the cops still dont believe they are factory. Some times I wonder what planet they get some cops from, must be that one where they dont have cars.

Last edited by Mike-2ptzero; 08-05-2009 at 10:30 AM.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:28 AM
1st Gear

I have 20% all around and the law is 35% on the drivers and no cops have ever questioned me about it even tho i've been pulled over twice. the 20's are nice because they are just enough so that at night no one can see wut ur doin in there lol. Its only difficult for me wen i first get into my car for my eyes to adjust then after that only left turns worry me a bit but usually if theres no lights no problem just pull right on out lol.

Last edited by kr1snarowsk1; 08-05-2009 at 10:32 AM.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:06 PM
3rd Gear

15% front and back, black interior. Its illegal here but scarcely enforced. I've been pulled twice since I got it and neither officer said anything about it.

Name:  PICT1216.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  172.6 KB

Old 08-05-2009, 01:18 PM
Administrator

Just took took this at lunch, 50% all the way around. Its not very dark but i like the way it turned out.
Name:  SNC00066.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  60.9 KB

Old 08-05-2009, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mike-2ptzero
Well for those that live in states were you can put tint on the front door windows you guys are very lucky, here in CA the law is NO tint on the front windows period. I know people that have been pulled over for tint on the front windows even though they are "factory" tinted and even after looking at the windows and running their hands over the window the cops still dont believe they are factory. Some times I wonder what planet they get some cops from, must be that one where they dont have cars.

I live in southern cali and I have 5% all around which is way illegal, legal = no tint on front windows. (look at pics on first pg). Since i have had tint ive had a cop come up to my window and talk to me and he said nothing about my tint

If i see a cop on the road, my windows will be rolled down

Old 08-06-2009, 09:18 PM

just brought this car and i know for a fact that these tints are comming off. way to dark for nyc steets. looking to see if i can find some light bronze tint for the car

Attached Thumbnails Tintssss.-picture-034.jpg   Tintssss.-picture-031.jpg  
Old 08-07-2009, 01:51 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Mike-2ptzero
Dark just makes it harder to see and if you have that dark of a tint on the front door windows it becomes very hard to see while driving at night and this means driving with the windows down at night.

My lowered truck had 2 layers of limo tint all the windows except the windshield and it was a bitch to see while driving at night. I went 35% all the way around on my A4.
Mike is right again. My car came with 35% all around (limo tint on rear*) and I love it. Dark enough to give it a great look, and it's pretty damn dark, but when you get up close to the car you can see in a little. With the windows up, at night it is pretty dark, I can;t imagine driving around with them any darker.

Best of all, it's legal. One less thing to worry about. I also have yellow DMV cert stickers in the windows (most which I have taken out and glue to a piece of paper) and put them in my glove box along with a paper from the DMV and company who installed them.

*You have to be careful with this. I have a spoiler with a 3rd brake light. You don't want your 3rd brake light to be blocked by tint.