B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Timing Belt Won't Fit - Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 07:24 PM
1st Gear
Exclamation Timing Belt Won't Fit - Help

I'm trying to put a new timing belt in my 1.8t AWM and it is too tight to fit over the sprockets and pulleys.

The tensioner is the type that you compress with an M5 2 inch bolt which fits in a yoke and screws into the tensioner. Doing this, it released tension enough to get the old belt off.

The new belt is a Dayco 95306 which checks out as the right belt in online parts catalogs.

In compressing the tensioner, I went all the way to the bottom without finding the pin hole. This was after I got the old belt off. Could I have gone "over center" and have more tension on the pulley?

The problem is made worse by the tensioner pulley having a ridge on the outside as opposed to a flat surface pulley. Without the ridge, it might just fit.

I also tried taking off the small idler pulley to free up some slack, but it did not help very much.

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

John

Old 10-05-2011, 08:34 PM
1st Gear

How much more clearance are we taking about here? Is it small enough that you could just move the cam sprocket a little bit to the right just to fit the belt and then move it back once it's on? as long as you're marked it shouldn't be a big deal.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:47 PM
Tech Slut

Unbolt the tensioner roller from the block, get the belt on everything, bolt it back up, tension it again. Why are you just replacing the belt and not the tensioner and roller?

Old 10-05-2011, 09:12 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by FASTER
Unbolt the tensioner roller from the block, get the belt on everything, bolt it back up, tension it again. Why are you just replacing the belt and not the tensioner and roller?
Thanks, I'l try removing the tensioner pulley. I believe this means I need to find the pin hole in the tensioner.

Because I'm both cheap and lazy. I bought a new tensioner but it is the wrong one. The right one is hard to find and I gave up and decided to use the old one. I will call around in the morning to see if the right part is available. If so, I'll replace it.

Is it necessary to replace the tensioner at 114,000 miles?

Thanks again.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:16 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by IanWPB
How much more clearance are we taking about here? Is it small enough that you could just move the cam sprocket a little bit to the right just to fit the belt and then move it back once it's on? as long as you're marked it shouldn't be a big deal.
I tried moving the cam sprocket back and forth but not literally to the right as you suggest. I'll try that in the AM.

Also, I have moved the crankshaft sprocket and had to reposition it. I'm thinking a breaker bar wedged so the cranksaft can't turn when I turn the cam sprocket.

Thank you,

John

Old 10-05-2011, 09:30 PM
Administrator

You're picking absolutely the last part you should ever be lazy or cheap about. The majority of timing-related engine fatalities on these cars are tensioner-related, not belt-related. I've seen exactly one worn timing belt out of all the timing jobs I've done. Saw a lot of worn tensioners though.

Might as well just toss a grenade on the manifold and close the hood. "Cheap and lazy" usually becomes "pissed and out of money" when this stuff is done. The endings aren't happy.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:17 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
You're picking absolutely the last part you should ever be lazy or cheap about. The majority of timing-related engine fatalities on these cars are tensioner-related, not belt-related. I've seen exactly one worn timing belt out of all the timing jobs I've done. Saw a lot of worn tensioners though.

Might as well just toss a grenade on the manifold and close the hood. "Cheap and lazy" usually becomes "pissed and out of money" when this stuff is done. The endings aren't happy.
I see you're from Binghamton. I live in Baltimore but spend a lot of time in Syracuse. I'm here now where I have a garage to work in.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:22 PM
1st Gear

My 2 cents but I just done the same job on a 97 1.8T. There were 2 different belts. 1 had one more tooth on the belt than the other. I had 2 count the teeth on the belt to make sure I was getting the correct one.

I am sure there is another way but I did not know it.

I agree with the others. The tensioner was what went bad on mine as well. Probably should not skimp there.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:50 PM
2nd Gear

Do not skimp on this sort of maintenance if you like having a working car and having money. I'm serious about this. Stop being lazy or get ready to be fucked.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:05 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil

+1 its the tensioners that are known to fail.

Quick Reply: Timing Belt Won't Fit - Help