B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Timing Belt Tensioning Lever Torque

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 05:47 PM
1st Gear
Default Timing Belt Relay Tensioner Lever Torque

Hi,

1998 Audi A4 2.8. I'm in the middle of doing the timing belt job and was wondering if anyone knows the torque specs for the tension relay lever that is circled in the pic? I have downloaded the audi service manual but still can't find the right specs for that part.

Thanks

Last edited by distilled; 09-06-2009 at 02:11 PM.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:40 AM
1st Gear

not sure, but when youre done you can do mine

Old 09-06-2009, 10:51 AM
4th Gear

German car, German specs... gudentite!

Old 09-06-2009, 02:07 PM
1st Gear

^^^ LOL

The bolt is an M8 and the manual says M8s should be torqued to 15 ft. lb. I'll do 18 ft. lb. just to be sure.

Boogie, how bout i replace the camshaft seals as well.

On a serious note, I found this when I took out the passenger side chain tensioner. Chain guide was broken in pieces and the chain started eating the metal. Someone please tell me I only have to buy the guide and not the whole tensioner.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:16 PM
1st Gear

Just wanted to post an update on this. Bought a pair of pads/shoes/guides for the chain tensioner. $90 and three days later I had this.

Here it is, all assembled. These things clip on pretty easy.

Used only one. I tried to see if anybody else had used these pads before but haven't found anything that says that these will last. Quality seems good. It was either this or a new $400 chain tensioner. Guess we'll see how long it will last.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:03 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by distilled
Just wanted to post an update on this. Bought a pair of pads/shoes/guides for the chain tensioner. $90 and three days later I had this.

Here it is, all assembled. These things clip on pretty easy.

Used only one. I tried to see if anybody else had used these pads before but haven't found anything that says that these will last. Quality seems good. It was either this or a new $400 chain tensioner. Guess we'll see how long it will last.
I was reading your post with a lot of attention as I think my car suffers from the same issue as yours. I have two questions for you.

Did you had a ticking noise before? and did it went away after you replaced the pads on the TCT??

And other recommendation, after you set the timing belt tensioner roler and release the pin, give the roller some more tension via turning it. It is important that there is little deflection on the Timing Belt.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:19 AM
1st Gear

Wow, its been a while. The noise I had was more of a rattling than a ticking. I looked at your other thread and you mentioned that you already inspected the tensioner pads. Since you said that the ticking noise was coming from the front I would think that your timing chain tensioners are okay.

On another note, I have since put over 20,000 miles on the car and the engine is still going strong. Wish I could say the same thing about the transmission.

Good luck with your Audi!

Old 03-29-2011, 04:48 PM
1st Gear

Hi, thanks for the quick response. I'm glad to hear your engine is going strong after all those miles and the repair.

I am going to be tearing down my engine this weekend and then I will inspect for any damage in rollers or Timing belt gear... I believe I forgot to turn-tighten properly the TB tensioner-roller and with the 24k miles I've put after the repair, the roller has become loose and the belt is hitting a cover.

The noise I have is more of a rattling too, so I cannot rule out TCT yet. So I am going to do same thing you did and replace pads.
If after replacing all the seals, pads, reviewing the Timing belt rollers, water pump, etc... the noise still there, then I will spend the $500.00+ in new TCT assemblies and replace them in a few months.

Sorry to hear about your transmission, is it an auto? Mine is a five speed, trans is good.. but I think clutch is next in line.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:28 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by quattro2771
I believe I forgot to turn-tighten properly the TB tensioner-roller and with the 24k miles I've put after the repair, the roller has become loose and the belt is hitting a cover.
After that many miles the tensioner is definitely at full tension. The pre-loading of the tensioner is just to help it out when it is fresh and full compacted from the factory. My TCT just went out on my car. Actually the tensioner was ok but the pads were gone.