B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

timing belt tensioner bold broke

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 03:10 AM
Default timing belt tensioner bold broke

so after getting my tires rotated at americans tire the people working on it were trying to back my car off the lift but ended up slamming the bottom of the car against the lift. so after that i kinda check the car out and i saw nothing wrong. so then about 15-20 min later my car stalls out and i couldnt start it back up and it's making a really loud griding noise like a the starter got stuck open or maybe the clutch got bent. so i called the tire company and told them what happen and they told me to go the a shop of theres they take there cars if something happens. so i did and the mechaanic told me the timing belt tensioner bold broke right off in the block. what is the possiblity that of this happening. I just put in a rebuild engine in and i had the whole timing belt kit put on about 5 months ago. i also drove from cali to ohio and back and put about 20,000 miles on the engine and never had a problem until after this happen.

the shop who look at it said there no way the tire shop could of done it. he is saying maybe it could have been installed wrong and the part was defective. i bought the timing kit from blauparts.com. so anyong opinion would help.

Thanks

Old 10-27-2009, 08:28 AM

Did you install the belt kit yourself? If not call the place that installed it and raise hell. Either way I'm afraid...$$$$$ . 90% of the time when they say the timing belt broke or failed it's due to the tensioner. You will have to see how much damage was done, but from what you said it sounds bad. Top engine rebuild or another engine. You need to have it tore apart and checked out further.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:11 AM
4th Gear

Sounds like you have a huge battle ahead of you as far as who is to blame for this. While it does sound unlikely that the tire place slamming the car would jar the tensioner off the block, it's not impossible.

Either way, if the TB was no longer functioning properly, you could have some serious valve and piston damage, which, like Interceptor said, will cost some big bucks!

Hope this all works out with minimum out of pocket expenses...

Old 10-27-2009, 05:48 PM

so do you guys think it could be a faulty part or do you guys think the shop who installed the timing kit didnt install it right. cuz i really do wanna spend anymore money on the engine i just spent 3000 about 5 months ago to buy an engine and have it put in.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:28 PM

The only thing I can think of is to call the original shop who installed the timing kit and explain to them a mechanic stated the belt failed and if they warranty their work. I think you said you put on 20,000 miles since then, so that may be a little hard. I won't lie to you, it sounds like your going down the same road you were at and it's not a smooth straight one .

Old 10-27-2009, 09:00 PM

It sounds like if you need to step it up and be the assertive smooth taker and tell them ******* to fix it or your going to small claims court or you better start saving your money up