B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Timing Belt questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 10:13 AM
TSG
1st Gear
Default Timing Belt questions

I just got a 98 a4 with the 2.8 a couple days ago. It has 140k miles on it. I have to assume the timing belt was done before, would the original last this long? The previous owner doesn't know either cuz he didn't have it long. I just made an appointment to have it changed, but they coudn't get me in until July 25th!! I don't want to take it anywhere else, cuz I've heard very good things about this shop. They gave me an estimate of $550-600. For T-belt, water pump, and whatever else is recommended for this procedure. Is that a good price? It's not my DD, but I'm a bit paranoid about driving it until then, which sucks. Is it justified?

Old 07-01-2011, 11:04 AM
2nd Gear

when in doubt, even questionable... change it. 600 is amazing dealer is 1200. Youll want to make sure they do the wp, thermostat, timing belt, tensioner and idler rollers, the tensioner itself. but man 600 is a steal

Old 07-01-2011, 01:33 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

Odds are the belt has already been changed once but with 140K miles you are due for another. I agree with Audisaurus, with an estimate of $550-$600 is almost low enough to make me think something is wrong (questionable) with the shop. If they will do it for that low, with all the components it's a no brainer, only slightly cheaper to DIY and far less frustrating.

finally, don't be paranoid about driving it. It should be fine

Old 07-01-2011, 05:42 PM
2nd Gear

Since you said the previous owner didn't know and didnt have it long, change it. As the other two said 600 is awesome. I've spent over 2500 on repairing my engine after my belt went.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:00 AM
TSG
1st Gear

Finally got the car into the shop. I asked them to check over the whole car before doing the t-belt, and they said I need the following; spark plugs (original), valve cover gaskets (leak), air filter, oil change, cat converter (noisy and CEL), plus t-belt, waterpump, etc. Looking at $1300. I told them to go ahead and do everything. I payed 3000 for the car, 350 for tires and with 1300 for the maintenance/repairs I'll be in it 4650, and the car is worth 5000.
I'm sure I could do some of the stuff myself (even have an old cat, and can weld), but I figured I'd save the hassle. I'd probably be breaking spark plugs off in the head. Considering a timing belt etc. is about 1200 elsewhere, I'm not too frustrated.

Originally Posted by 02A6Beau
...with an estimate of $550-$600 is almost low enough to make me think something is wrong (questionable) with the shop.
This is a very reputable shop specializing in VW with nothing but 5 star reviews on google. My sister and her husband both have had great experiences there.

Last edited by TSG; 07-25-2011 at 08:07 AM.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:48 AM
2nd Gear

As long as they're in there, ask them to change the cam tensioner gaskets and half moon valley seals. It will be much easier for them to do while the engine is already apart for the timing belt job, and if there isn't already an oil leak from them, there will be eventually.

Also, have them check out the condition of the crankcase breather system. If it's all plugged up with gunk, have them replace that as well. Gotta keep the pressure out of the ccb system or the oil leaks will come back sooner rather than later.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:31 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by TSG
Finally got the car into the shop. I asked them to check over the whole car before doing the t-belt, and they said I need the following; spark plugs (original), valve cover gaskets (leak), air filter, oil change, cat converter (noisy and CEL), plus t-belt, waterpump, etc. Looking at $1300. I told them to go ahead and do everything. I payed 3000 for the car, 350 for tires and with 1300 for the maintenance/repairs I'll be in it 4650, and the car is worth 5000.
I'm sure I could do some of the stuff myself (even have an old cat, and can weld), but I figured I'd save the hassle. I'd probably be breaking spark plugs off in the head. Considering a timing belt etc. is about 1200 elsewhere, I'm not too frustrated.

This is a very reputable shop specializing in VW with nothing but 5 star reviews on google. My sister and her husband both have had great experiences there.

Recommend this shop in your regonal forum.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:44 PM
TSG
1st Gear
Default All done

Here's the breakdown:

ECU FAULT READOUT
T/BELT
T/BELT TEN
TENSIONER ???
ROLLER ???
WATER PUMP
THERMOSTAT
SERP BELT TENSIONER
SERP BELT
V/C GASKET KIT
GASKET SET ???
COVER
CAMSHAFT SEAL
COOL SYST CONDITIONER
ANTI FREEZE
SPARK PLUGS
AIR FILTER
CABIN FILTER
OIL FILTER
OIL
SYTHETIC GEAR OIL
CATALYTIC CONVERTER
SHOP SUPPLIES
LABOR

TOTAL 1202.61

Could somone explain the ones i have ??? next to?

Old 07-27-2011, 08:36 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by TSG
Here's the breakdown:

ECU FAULT READOUT
T/BELT
T/BELT TEN
TENSIONER ???
ROLLER ???
WATER PUMP
THERMOSTAT
SERP BELT TENSIONER
SERP BELT
V/C GASKET KIT
GASKET SET ???
COVER
CAMSHAFT SEAL
COOL SYST CONDITIONER
ANTI FREEZE
SPARK PLUGS
AIR FILTER
CABIN FILTER
OIL FILTER
OIL
SYTHETIC GEAR OIL
CATALYTIC CONVERTER
SHOP SUPPLIES
LABOR

TOTAL 1202.61

Could somone explain the ones i have ??? next to?
This picture should help.. OEM / Performance Parts for Audi, BMW, Mercedes Benz, Mini, Porsche & Volkswagen - ECS Tuning The Tensioner is either the hydraulic tensioner (Grenade looking thing) or the Tensioner roller which is the small pulley on the left. The Roller is probably the Idler roller, the small pulley to the right. And gasket set, assuming that's for the water pump gasket, valve cover gasket, etc.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:25 AM
2nd Gear

$1202.61 is a bargain for all that work.

I would still ask them specifically to check the crankcase breather system if they haven't already done that. If it's plugged, you'll have another oil leak soon.

Quick Reply: Timing Belt questions