B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Timing belt kit Blauparts or FCPEURO?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 04:27 AM
1st Gear
Default Timing belt kit Blauparts or FCPEURO?

My water pump has developed a leak and decided to change the timing belt while I'm at it. My car has 142,000 miles on it and don't know when the previous owner did the timing belt. My coolant is only about a month old, I drained it out and is still clean so I am able to reuse it.

My question is which kit should I get?
FCPEURO: Audi VW Volkswagen Timing Belt Kit (A4 Passat 1.8 Turbo) - 13 Piece AudiA4TBKit | FCP Euro

Blauparts: Audi A4 Timing Belt - Audi A4 Timing Belt Kit - 1.8 Liter

Thanks

Old 12-24-2012, 12:06 PM
1st Gear

only the fcp link works. I live right near them, so i got a timing belt kit from them. i only got the one with timing belt, wp, tensioner, and t stat. It was mostly continental branded. Im happy.

Old 12-24-2012, 12:42 PM

Why wouldnt you do everything else when your in there?

The FCP kit is good, the blauparts with the tool rental kit makes it a much more "woory free" process. It can be dont without the tools and it isnt hard, just scary?

Old 12-24-2012, 01:30 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jonbonesjones
Why wouldnt you do everything else when your in there?

The FCP kit is good, the blauparts with the tool rental kit makes it a much more "woory free" process. It can be dont without the tools and it isnt hard, just scary?
You mean the coolant too or are you referring to other stuff besides the timing belt kit and water pump? And what are the tools for exactly?

I participated in a Speedtuning group buy back in the summer. This is a perfect time to send out my ECU and install my new DV since my car will be MIA.

Old 12-24-2012, 01:36 PM
1st Gear

Sweet, I'm gonna need to do my timing belt soon because the previous owner said it was recently changed, and from the looks of my belt, he was lying thru his teeth.

Old 12-24-2012, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by HeyCesar
You mean the coolant too or are you referring to other stuff besides the timing belt kit and water pump? And what are the tools for exactly?

I participated in a Speedtuning group buy back in the summer. This is a perfect time to send out my ECU and install my new DV since my car will be MIA.
Good planning,

I mean the acc belt, acc tensioner, cam seals and coolant obviously. Im guessing he did that part tho. ALso while your in there its a good idea to tackle the valve cover/cam chain tensioner gaskets and valley plug.

The tool kit locks the cams into position so they have no chance of moving or thinking about moving, as you know in an interface engine -- timing off = engine explosion.

Old 12-24-2012, 04:16 PM
1st Gear

i did a vc gasket and plugs while in there, flushed coolant everywhere and did a 1 piece headlight swap.
my acc belts were new from the p/o. i was gonna replace, but they looked almost brand new. def worth doing everything you can while in there

Old 12-24-2012, 06:55 PM
Administrator

I'm running the FCP kit and I'm very happy with it.

Old 12-24-2012, 07:32 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
I'm running the FCP kit and I'm very happy with it.

Me too and no problem whatsoever. I've bought quite a bit from them and like the quality of their parts and their customer service.

Old 12-24-2012, 08:04 PM
1st Gear

I ordered the FCP kit because they also have a 5% discount code (It is "fiveoff" if anyone is interested). Also bought a Stern snub mount since I will be down there. I've been thinking about replacing the valve cover gasket along with the chain tensioner and gasket since the summer actually. Any recommendations for which online store to shop for these?

Also, I was wondering how you guys performed your coolant flushes.

Being Christmas season and an unemployed college student, this is really biting down on my summer job savings. I put up my guitar amp for sale on Craigslist and am considering donating plasma for cash. D:

Also, thanks to all of you who gave in some input. Happy holidays.

Quick Reply: Timing belt kit Blauparts or FCPEURO?