B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Timing belt job help

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 11:19 PM
Default Timing belt job help

So I have a 1998 1.8tqm. My timing belt is at about 55K or so. I would like to get this changed. Paying someone to do it is not in the finances. I have pretty decent mechanical abilities. My limits are my tools, a place to work and fear of messing up my new baby. I was wondering if there was anyone in reasonable proximity to me who has experience with this job who has access to tools and a place to do it. I have heard of some people who have done this in the past.

The cheapest quote i have gotten to do this is $700.00 for parts and labor.

I live in West Virginia in harrison county. If anyone can help let me know what we can work out. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:33 AM
2nd Gear

you need some basic tool that you probably already own, ohh and btw some plumbing tools would be good so you can turn the crankshaft using them

Old 03-10-2010, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Tourbo24
you need some basic tool that you probably already own, ohh and btw some plumbing tools would be good so you can turn the crankshaft using them
What kind of plumbing tools? If i end up doing this myself I will probably rent the tool kit.

http://www.blauparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=N1A1012-A

Old 03-10-2010, 07:59 AM
Administrator

You're going to need the basic metric wrenches and sockets, screwdrivers, pliers, plus torx bits and Allen bits. A breaker bar and a few large sockets should be there too (I think the crank pulley bolt is a 24mm but I don't remember 100%). the job itself is actually straightforward. The only stickler that took a little time was, when we did Jiggleo's car, the timing belt kept jumping off by a tooth when the tensioner was put onto the belt, so it had to be installed "off" a tooth - that way it jumped into place with tension.

You're a morning's drive away from here - don't rule it out. If you want to come up, I'm sure we can help you out and you'll have a good time and learn quite a bit about your car at the same time.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:44 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
You're going to need the basic metric wrenches and sockets, screwdrivers, pliers, plus torx bits and Allen bits. A breaker bar and a few large sockets should be there too (I think the crank pulley bolt is a 24mm but I don't remember 100%). the job itself is actually straightforward.
We got the Blauvergnuegen complete kit and started to tear down according to the audiworld instructions (the Blauvergnuegen instructions are quite 'concentated).

The only minor issues where:
- getting the fan off its mounting (sprayed some penetrating oil and kept knocking it lightly)
- didn't have a 19mm 12 point socket, so we used a 3/4 inch 12 point to hold the crank while loosening the bolts
- our power steering didn't have holes to stick a screwdriver through to hold (via tooth belt) the water pump pulley while loosening the 3 screws. I used larger pliers on the back of the water pump pulley to hold it.
- thermostat required a little 'persuasion' with a screw driver to come of its seal

We are now debating if we take the cam and crank sprocket off to replace the seals (come with the full kit); Blauvergnuegen refers to special tools to hold the sprockets and to remove the seals. Will post elsewhere here to find out how critical these 2 seals are.

By 11 pm, we were done with the tear down (I would say 4 hours into it, but going slow, reading twice, checking, etc.) (except mentioned seals).

Old 03-12-2010, 11:56 AM

Just read through the DIY very carefully. I am pretty confident I can pull this off. I just need to find a friend or relative that has a garage I can use to do it. I am going to get the kit and tool rental kit and get this done soon.

I would actually love to make the trip up Devil and that is not ruled out.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:34 PM
2nd Gear

Just take pictures before you disassemble things and put screws for each part into labeled baggies or bins or whatever.

Don't be like me and think you don't need to because you're going to get it done in the same day. And then you'll run into complications that keep the car down long enough that you no longer remember where things go.

I would, however, recommend ordering a bunch of M8 (and perhaps M6) galvanized/zinc bolts to replace rusted ones that you work with. I found a bunch of those and just said screw it and ordered:

0135932 20 M8-1.25 x 16mm CL 12.9 DIN 912 Zinc Socket Head Cap Screw 1 $0.183 $3.66
plus M6, and some nuts... from Fastenal. 10 to 20 cents a piece? No big deal.

You use the M8s on pulleys... I think the water pump took the M6s, etc. I've learned to just keep stuff like bolts and crush washers on hand. You will always need them.

Last edited by dragonrage; 03-12-2010 at 12:42 PM.