B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Timing belt failure likely?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 07:51 PM
2nd Gear

It's not a hard job to replace the TB it's just takes a lot of time. You'll need some new coolant too. The only special tool (and it's not really special) is a long 1/4 extension to get the back screws out that hold the headlights in.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by a2thy
So the TB itself and maybe some new ribbed belts are the only parts I'll need? That's a relief. Judging by the DIY I'm guessing no special tools if I'm only replacing the belt.

I'm guessing no more than an hour or two of work from this point, right?
Yeah. if you have the rad support off already, you've got the hard part done in my opinion...
you just need to take the crank pulley and the lower cover off to get at the TB.

No special tools, just be sure you put maybe put some marks, to make sure neither the cam or the crank turn while you have the belt off, so they stay in the proper relation to each other..

Old 07-17-2009, 09:18 PM
2nd Gear

Just got the timing and serpentine belts, and will begin work tonight. Thank you everyone for aiding me in the diversion of a potential catastrophe.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:26 PM
2nd Gear

This may sound like a rookie question, but what's the best way to ensure the engine is at TDC?

Old 07-17-2009, 10:30 PM
3rd Gear

line up the timing marks on the crank and/or head pullys.

sounds like you are already working but i would replace your water pump again while your in there. its only what, another $50? pretty much any time you have to open up the whole car to do either the water pump or timing belt, you might as well do the other one while your in there.

on my previous car, i had the timing belt done but not the water pump, then 15k miles later the water pump went and i had to do all the labor all over again. its worth spending the extra money imo.

Old 07-18-2009, 07:29 AM
2nd Gear

Ok Ghost, you've convinced me to change my water pump as well, especially seeing how my coolant is a tad rust colored. Is the stealership the only good place to get them? or is there an online source you suggest I go to? By the way I picked up a Duralast timing belt at Autozone, and after reading some online reviews I'm thinking I may not want to use it after all.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:28 AM
5th Gear

blauparts always sells good stuff. also check out MJMautohaus

Old 07-18-2009, 12:22 PM
4th Gear

You can order all the parts through Advanced Auto, they have a supplier called 'Intraamerican Motor Corp (IMC)'. You will prolly have to ask them to look it up, but thats where I got all my belts and gaskets. They are Victor-Reinz and Conti (OEM). They also had tensioners, pumps, rollers, tanks, etc, from Meyle. All very competitively priced and I waited 2 days with no shipping. Just take your engine code, year/model, build date, and VIN in to get the correct parts.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:23 PM
2nd Gear

I'll check them out, thanks.

What do you guys think about using the Duralast TB? I know I probably should have gone OEM but wasn't thinking and bought it anyway. Now I'm thinking I may be better off trying to get rid of it and finding an OEM one with a warranty.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:27 PM
4th Gear

Well, the real question is who actually makes the Duralast belt? If its someone like Conti or Goodyear, you'll be fine.

How much was it anyways? My Conti from Advanced was $18.

Quick Reply: Timing belt failure likely?