B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Timing belt difficulty?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 01:06 PM
1st Gear
Default Timing belt difficulty?

Can anybody tell me exactly how difficult it is to do the tbelt job by yourself? I really don't want to pay a shop 800 to do it, but really don't want to screw up the car either. My dad has been working on cars for the past 30 years, and I help out where I can. We have jacks and jack stands, but it's below freezing outside and will be for the next month. How long can one expect it to take for two first-timers to complete the job?

Old 12-25-2010, 02:36 PM
1st Gear

good question as i would alslo like to know....i already bought the kit and will be changing my tbelt tomorrow

Old 12-25-2010, 02:52 PM
1st Gear

Basic work if you have done similar things to any other vehicle. Find yourself a nice DIY with pictures like this one online, have all the tools and parts available, and you should be able to knock it out in one day's time. Took my uncle and myself about 6 hours in a nice heated garage, which I would look to beg borrow or steal from someone. I would bet you will get frustrated outside in the winter.

Old 12-25-2010, 05:02 PM
1st Gear

The job is not difficult at all if your have basic mechanical knowledge and understanding. The only part you can jack up is the part where you have to have the hash marks of the cam pulley and the crank pulley aligned throughout the whole install, you shoudl be more than good

Old 12-25-2010, 05:39 PM
Administrator

Yep with your dad's assumed background (I'm assuming that in 30 years he's done timing belts before), the DIY, and needed tools you'll be fine. You don't mention which engine you have, but on the 1.8T it can be frustrating because you'll have the timing marks aligned, and then apply tension only to find out it's off a tooth. You'll get it though. One tip for added insurance - once the new t-belt is tensioner, put the car in neutral and hand-rotate the engine two full revolutions. Turn off the music, tell anyone around to STFU for a minute and listen to be sure no valves hit pistons. After the two turns realign the marks to be sure everything is still timed properly. If so, start reassembling.

Old 12-25-2010, 08:46 PM
4th Gear

One tip for added insurance - once the new t-belt is tensioner, put the car in neutral and hand-rotate the engine two full revolutions. Turn off the music, tell anyone around to STFU for a minute and listen to be sure no valves hit pistons. After the two turns realign the marks to be sure everything is still timed properly
+1. When you do this, you'll feel the compression build a little then release a few times. Not a big deal, what you need to be careful of is it getting suddenly difficult to turn... the blauparts.com kit instruction will warn you about that too (if that's where you got your kit from).

I would recommend renting the tool kit from blauparts.com as well (again, assuming you buy the kit from there). It will make the job much easier for a first timer...

Old 12-25-2010, 09:46 PM
1st Gear

I've got the AEB. We did the timing belt on a 1981 Porsche 924, and that turned out perfectly. I'm just a little apprehensive about taking all of the front fascia off.

Old 12-25-2010, 10:00 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bigred'sB5
I've got the AEB. We did the timing belt on a 1981 Porsche 924, and that turned out perfectly. I'm just a little apprehensive about taking all of the front fascia off.
It's way easier than you think, since the cars were designed to be serviced that way. Just don't snap the two main bumper bolts like I did, that will make it a lot more of a pain. Other than that it's just the headlights and some wires and hoses.

Old 12-25-2010, 10:01 PM
Tech Slut

Originally Posted by bigred'sB5
We did the timing belt on a 1981 Porsche 924, and that turned out perfectly. I'm just a little apprehensive about taking all of the front fascia off.
Then you've already timed an audi engine lol. You'll be fine, pulling the front off is easy.

Old 12-25-2010, 10:27 PM
Administrator

Yep overall, of all the cars I've worked on, this t-belt job is far and away the easiest I've done. The first 30v t-belt I did (first on any VAG car), took three of us about six hours start to finish. The last 30v I did took two of us three hours start to finish - you learn very quickly because it is logical and straightforward, and the design of the car and its teardown is well thought out. You guys should be fine.