B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Tie Rod End with the strength of Hercules..

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 04:09 AM
Default Tie Rod End with the strength of Hercules..

First of all, it feels so good to be back. I always seem to stray away from this forum, but have once again returned.

Background: Over the last few weeks I've been trying to catch up on 2 years worth of maintanence, and it is taking a toll on me.

Current Issue: I decided it would probably be a good idea to replace my dangerously worn tie rod ends, so I found a DIY article on another website to lead the way. I got everything around that I needed, and then got dirty. I then sheared of the 2nd nut that I tried to remove, and it went south from there. After finding a friend with some air powered tools, we were able to take the tie rod end apart. The next step in the article said: "Once it is loose, just unscrew the tie rod from the adjustment hex. (The 18mm thing you held)". Unfortunately it will not "just unscrew". So, am I missing something easy, or do I need to break out the torch? I've attached a pic so you can see what I see. Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Tie Rod End with the strength of Hercules..-blackberry-022.jpg   Tie Rod End with the strength of Hercules..-blackberry-024.jpg  
Old 05-09-2010, 09:30 AM
Administrator

Changed mine when I did my control arms a few months back. Driver side was just as you mentioned - break it free and unscrew it. The passenger side took three guys and 2.5 hours to get out. I didn't want to use a torch indiscriminately because of the TRE boot (I didn't wanT to ruin it). We kept hitting it with Kroil and finally used two huge sets of visegrip pliers. One guy held the rack end with all his body weight while I put everything I had into breaking the TRE loose, and we finally got it. It was a mother-F-er but we got it. Just keep at it and it'll come loose...but you will have to earn it.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:32 AM
1st Gear

I just took an 18mm open ended wrench and put it on hex and placed it so that the wrench was up against the wheel well so when I turn the tie rod, I wouldn't have to hold the wrench. Then I also used an adjustable wrench and clamped it on the flat part of the worn tie rod end. I used a breaker bar to help as well.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

I HATE TRE! I had to take off my inner tierod to get the tre off...
https://www.audiforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=147492

Old 05-09-2010, 12:30 PM

GROSS. How come I have to earn everything with this car? lol. It took me almost 6 hours to do the front rotors/pads last week. Thanks for the replies tho, I'm headed out to a more sophisticated shop right now so hopefully I can get it off out there.

Old 05-09-2010, 12:34 PM
Administrator

how ya gettin there? lol

Old 05-09-2010, 04:22 PM

Very carefully Luckily the shop is only a half mile from my house so I pieced it back together and limped out. After heating it up with a torch and melting the boot, we've decided to just replace the inner tie rods as well. I just picked them up at Advanced Auto Parts for $44 a piece, and after dinner will be going back to the shop to hopefully finish this off. This is the last crucial thing that needs to be done with the car, and of course, has to be the most difficult. Next will be rear brakes, and that whole "oil in my spark plugs" problem..... sheesh.

Old 05-09-2010, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

Hope You didnt melt it to bad. We semi melted mine and couldn't find another! and we were trying to be careful we had wet rags on it holding it back but still managed to mess a little up!

Old 05-09-2010, 06:27 PM

Yeah we burned that mother to the ground lol. BUT, while picking up my inners at AAP I had them look up the boots, and they can get them in 7-10 days for $11/per. I'm headed back out to the shop now to try and replace the inners. *sigh* is it over yet? lol

Old 05-09-2010, 06:53 PM
3rd Gear

I hate when things like this happen. Takes days to do a job that should have taken hours!

Quick Reply: Tie Rod End with the strength of Hercules..