B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Throttle Body Cleaning- How to do it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 12:30 PM
1st Gear
Default Throttle Body Cleaning- How to do it?

I have searched the forum but was wondering if there is a write up with pics on how to do a throttle body cleaning.

I got a Throttle Body Malfunction code, rough idle, horrible acceleration, jumping RPM, flashing CEL, misfire on #4.

Tried to start car this morning and wouldn't even start.

1997 Audi A4 1.8 143,000miles

Already tried TBA, next was cleaning before forking over $500 for new throttle body and installation.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:43 AM
1st Gear

Did you try the TBA using VAG-COM or by using the key in ignition? As VAG-COM is the only way really as all engine fault codes must be cleared before doing the throttle body alignment.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:01 AM
1st Gear

This doesn't just seem to be a dirty throttle body.. But okay.
Take the hose from air inlet off, clean the hose..
Spray some strong solvant inside the throttle body (not too much though), and wipe off with a lint-free(!!) cloth. I'd recommend a toothbrush to clean deeper inside there.
There is special tools for cleaning the throttle body, which look like flexible jointed toothbrushes.. Kinda hard without them.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:07 AM

Do you have to do an adjustment on the TB for the 97? I was told we didn't have to on our years. Or maybe just the 2.8?
See if you can get a used TB would be a lot less.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:47 AM
1st Gear

Wouldn't hurt to do the TBA.

As for cleaning your current TBA, it's quite simple. I'd recommend taking off the entire Throttle body so you can clean it from both ends of it. It's 4 allen bolts that attach it to the intake manifold. Take those off then also the throttle cable and also unbolt the support for the plastic squishy thing below the Throttle Body.

Once you have it off, spray it with some carb cleaner, brake cleaner, etc. Use an old toothbrush to brush off the black gunk right in the center. Do the same for both sides until the TB is clean and then reassemble. Then do the TBA by leaving the ignition on (but don't start the engine) for about 5 minutes. Just go out take a bathroom break or something. Come back and then start your car and see if it starts.

But I do agree, sounds like if your car can't start, it may be more than just your TB that is giving you problems. I'd suggest taking a look at your spark plugs first since you are having misfires and rough idle.

Old 12-22-2019, 02:52 PM
Banned

The wooden floor is a real classic. People can invent anything like technological floor coverings, but parquet floors, and you can talk about this quite confidently, will never lose their relevance. After all, this is a natural and harmonious floor covering, which allows you to create the most comfortable and sincere atmosphere at your home, to make a modern person even a little closer to nature. It’s nice to walk barefoot on such floors, which cannot be said about other floor coverings. But wood is a material that requires special treatment. Can you advise best brooms for wood floors?

Old 11-03-2022, 04:09 AM
1st Gear

<!--td {border: 1px solid #cccccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->We used to rent out our vacant apartment for a long-term lease, but then we found out about the existence of airbnb apartments fast. Short-term rentals turned out to be much more profitable. I really like cleaning airbnb apartments fast, it is done well. For super host status, your guests will be happy with your service. You can find cheap and efficient cleaning services on Airbnb.

Old 11-03-2022, 04:09 AM
1st Gear

We used to rent out our vacant apartment for a long-term lease, but then we found out about the existence of airbnb apartments fast. Short-term rentals turned out to be much more profitable. I really like cleaning airbnb apartments fast, it is done well. For super host status, your guests will be happy with your service. You can find cheap and efficient cleaning services on Airbnb.

Old 01-27-2023, 05:43 AM
1st Gear

If you are looking for a dependable and professional cleaning company to handle your hygiene needs in Brisbane and South East Queensland, look no further. So we're prepared for cleanliness. More information about us can be view more here For many years, we have provided our customers with high-quality hygiene cleaning services. Please contact us today if you would like more information about our cleanliness cleaning services or to schedule a free quotation. We hope to hear from you shortly.