B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Throttle Body Cleaner..Safe?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 12:38 AM
1st Gear
Default Throttle Body Cleaner..Safe?

Is it safe to spray a good amount of cleaner into the throttle body without removing it if you give it ample time to dry out?

Old 04-14-2008, 12:43 AM
I'm make believe
Default RE: Throttle Body Cleaner..Safe?

Its not the smartest thing to do. Why not take the 5mins to pull it? You just need to remove the hose to the TB and then the 4 5mm allen bolts and then remove the hoses and connections. Then you can spray away and then reinstall. Shouldnt take more than 10-15mins total

Old 04-14-2008, 10:44 AM
Tech Guru

ORIGINAL: cincyTT

Its not the smartest thing to do. Why not take the 5mins to pull it? You just need to remove the hose to the TB and then the 4 5mm allen bolts and then remove the hoses and connections. Then you can spray away and then reinstall. Shouldnt take more than 10-15mins total
because he is looking for the caboom he will get, when he has throttle body cleaner in his intake, and suck it into the combustion chamber and spark ignite the very flammable cleaner.....

i used to work at tire lube place, and we did a "throttle body cleaning service"

i had a guy with a tahoe come in and wanted it done........ it was so fun listening to the enginge choke while we had his intake/airbox disconnected... then when the throttle body cleaner ignited.. i think he shot flames out the exhaust.....

Old 04-14-2008, 11:00 AM
5th Gear

i sprayed a **** load of it and waited like 10 min for it to dry and then started that bisch. it took a few cranks but it ran much better. auditech79 was telling a guy to crank his car while spraying because his car wasn't starting. so i think it's pretty safe

Old 04-14-2008, 11:02 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: cincyTT

So everything connected to the TB is ok to remove? I looked at the thing a few times.. wish it would take me 10min to do

Old 04-14-2008, 11:08 AM
5th Gear

if you have a 1.8 you can do it fast but the 2.8 i wouldn't bother taking all of that stuff off

Old 04-14-2008, 01:44 PM
1st Gear

can anyone give me some help with cleaning the TB on a 2.8 i picked up a can of cleaner and i looked at it today and the TB is pretty tight in the back

Old 04-14-2008, 01:47 PM
I'm make believe

The 2.8 can run without anything attached to the TB. You can just remove the intake and spray it when its running. Im not keen on sucking that crap into the engine, but most of that crap is already in there anyways.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:57 PM
1st Gear

yeah I've got a 2.8.. i pulled the stuff out a bit more and disconnected things but there's no way in hell I'd ever be able to get the body off myself.. I dunno how you guys do it. I also noticed that while running it.. it smells kind of like burned popcorn... any ideas on that? perhaps just the acorns left around the engine ^_^

Old 04-14-2008, 02:11 PM
1st Gear

so i can just disconnet the hose after the MAF and spray in there?

Quick Reply: Throttle Body Cleaner..Safe?