B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Thought coolant leak but it is the water pump.. do we have to change the timing belt?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 09:27 PM
Default RE: Thought coolant leak but it is the water pump.. do we change timing belt?

Thanks UpstateNYA4 for explaining all in detail.

I just got my car from the dealer after the timing change. I declined the rest of the gasket changes as per your suggestions I thought I would do look for other auto repair shops.

Sorry the part that he charged $150 is not the tensioner but it is the beltdamper (078-109-479-E) and you were correct the belt was serpentine belt. He charged total of $1040.

The dealer asked me to replace the below and I am just wondering whether these are reasonable prices.

One:
-------
2 Cam Adj Gaskets (058198217)
2 v/c Gaskets (078198025)

Parts & Labor = $1078 (tax included)

Two:
-----
1 Power Steering Pressure Line
1 Bottle Power Steering Fluid

Parts & Labor = $505 (tax included)

Three
--------
Tie Rod End
Alignment

Parts & Labor = $365 (tax included)

Appreciate all the help.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:10 AM
Administrator
Default RE: Thought coolant leak but it is the water pump.. do we change timing belt?

Are those prices in addition to the timing belt service? The cam gaskets should be easily accessible (as in, not much additional labor to reach them) when the car is taken apart for the t-belt, so you shouldn't be paying a lot of labor for that since you're already paying t-belt labor. As for the valve cover gaskets, for the love of God don't pay them to do it. Another AF member drove to my house a month or so ago from CT to have his changed, and he was quoted some miserably outrageous price for a job (like several hundred dollars) that takes half an hour once you've done them before, and maybe an hour the first time. The gaskets are $25 per cylinder bank, and take very little time. I don't think you need more than a screwdriver, an 8 or 10 mm socket, a ratchet, and an extension (it helps to have a swivel though - makes the bottom driver's side nuts easier to remove, and using a 1/4" drive setup makes it all fit more easily). If you want to give it a shot, PM or email me and I'll send you a few pics and a quick writeup - it's barely more difficult than changing your oil.

I honestly don't know whether the PS work is a fair price or not - I've never looked into it. TRE and alignment may be a little high, but probably an OK price to go with.

I'd ask about the cam gaskets and VC gaskets, and ask for a breakdown on how it adds up to over a grand. The VC gaskets are laughably easy, and the labor to get to the cam gaskets is already being done with the t-belt, so he can't charge you that labor twice.

Old 05-30-2008, 04:58 PM

Thanks UpstateNYA4. Apologize for the delay in my response . The website was down when I tried to read your message.

Yes, the prices are addition to the timing belt service. Dealer did mention that it saves only $150 on the cam adj if I do it at the same time when I did the timing belt.

I called one of my local mechanics and he said he would to the cam Adj for $800 but I asked him how much he charges if he does the whole timing, water pump and cam Adj at the same time. He said doing the cam Adj at the same time while doing the timing belt would save him 3 hrs of labor and he said he would do all of them including labor and parts for $1370 plus tax. As my timing belt is already replaced he said he cannot go lower on cam Adj as the price is fixed at $800.

I called up the dealer and asked why he only reduced $150 if doing both saves 3hrs of labor. He confirmed with his mechanic and said that is his mistake as he thought it will only save an hour labor. He said he will cut the price to $650 plus tax if I am interested.

Any ideas how long can I drive with the leak in the cam adjusters. What damage does it make if I don't change them?

Please advice what brand spark plugs to use? Thanks for your suggestions to change the spark plugs.

Edit: Spark Plug

Old 06-08-2008, 08:07 PM
1st Gear

Wow , it makes me have warm feelings toward my uncle. He charged me 700 for tb/wp, and tensioners with seals and 3 other belts AND changed the valve cover!

Old 06-23-2008, 06:37 PM
2nd Gear

i took my 99 4a 2.8 t o a local mechanic, he is gonna charge me 450, TB, and water pump, labor included, thats cheap, but, im wondering if he is gonna make a good job, i think he is gonna charge me 250, for labor (included in the 450)