B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

For those of you who have installed an aftermarket stereo...

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 11:06 PM
cbg
Default For those of you who have installed an aftermarket stereo...

Searched for a while couldn't find an answer...I am going to be attempting to install an aftermarket stereo system in my 1996 A4 (with Bose system). I am looking at stuff on Crutchfield.com to try to find what I need to install it. Obviously I need a wiring harness, but what do I need to remove the stock system? Also how much of a pain in the *** is it to hook up an amp and subs?

Old 02-07-2008, 12:07 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: For those of you who have installed an aftermarket stereo...

It's a pain, but not impossible. When you search for everything picking your car model etc,crutchfield will ask whether or not you have bose and will offer your parts accordingly. You will need special pins to remove the head unit, these are cheap and they sell them. Your best bet is to speak online with one of their reps that is what I did and they guided me through the whole thing. All I can recommend is if you dontdo a special set up and just get a box for your subs, get grills to protect your sub surfaces. I didnt do this and wound up with minor holes in one of my speakers because i have so much work equipment in my trunk.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:44 AM
4th Gear

Techbod and I got some info together for someone a while back, this may be helpful:

https://www.audiforums.com/m_622462/mpage_2/key_/tm.htm

Old 02-07-2008, 05:22 AM

It's not tough to hook up subs and an amp, as long as you have a headunit that's easy to do it with. It took me about an hour to wire everything and install my subs and amp into my car, good luck man.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:49 AM
Tech Guru

ORIGINAL: cbg

Searched for a while couldn't find an answer...I am going to be attempting to install an aftermarket stereo system in my 1996 A4 (with Bose system). I am looking at stuff on Crutchfield.com to try to find what I need to install it. Obviously I need a wiring harness, but what do I need to remove the stock system? Also how much of a pain in the *** is it to hook up an amp and subs?
with the ohms being different..... if you are doing an aftermarket h/u, you might as well get an amp to run your speakers and then get an amp/sub for the trunk

the factory stuff will be overpowered by the new h/u and since it is all paper and at least 7-8 yrs old, probably time for a change anyways..... i really am just waiting till one speaker craps out or the h/u shoots craps to start working on a new setup

i would like to get a indash nav set-up though........ you might look into ebay for your products though... i found some infiniti kappa componets, that in store were at the time 450, on ebay for 40 bucks..... saved $410.......

Old 02-07-2008, 12:58 PM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: cbg

not hard at all but you do have kind of know what your doing. if you get an aftermarket deck running an amp and sub will be easy, if you keep the stock deck, which is what i did, you will need an adapter that splices into either the front or rear channel and changes it to an RCA connection that you can run to the amp. changing the headunit is probly the most technical part of the whole thing, just running an amp and subs is really easy. and it keeps the stock look. people who ride in my car for the first time have no idea whats sitting in the trunk when they get in

Old 02-07-2008, 05:36 PM
Administrator

Save yourself some aggravation and get better sound in the process - replace everything. Get some new speakers, your head unit, amp, sub, build your enclosure, and get an amp wiring kit. You can leave the door tweeters in place (up by the door handles) but change the other speakers. You can use the factory wiring for the fronts (and I'd recommend it since it's a pain in the *** to try and get new wire through the doors), and run new wire from the head unit back to the rear speakers. You'll spend more time on the install for sure, but you'll learn how your car is put together, it's not THAT difficult, and your sound will be that much better as well.

Don't forget to buy the Audi-specific antenna wire adapter and the head unit surround panel (the OEM head unit is wider than the aftermarket ones). PM me if you want to ask anything - I redid my whole system in most of a day and would not hesitate one second to do it all again if I got another A4 with an OEM stereo.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:43 PM

go to onlinecarstereo.com they are cheaper

Old 02-07-2008, 08:25 PM
1st Gear

Are the fronts on a non-bose system components? Does that mean that I have to replace the fronts with components and at that point might as well switch out the tweeters or can I just get some coax for the front speakers?

Old 02-17-2008, 08:53 PM
vgo
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: UpstateNYA4

Save yourself some aggravation and get better sound in the process - replace everything. Get some new speakers, your head unit, amp, sub, build your enclosure, and get an amp wiring kit. You can leave the door tweeters in place (up by the door handles) but change the other speakers. You can use the factory wiring for the fronts (and I'd recommend it since it's a pain in the *** to try and get new wire through the doors), and run new wire from the head unit back to the rear speakers. You'll spend more time on the install for sure, but you'll learn how your car is put together, it's not THAT difficult, and your sound will be that much better as well.

Don't forget to buy the Audi-specific antenna wire adapter and the head unit surround panel (the OEM head unit is wider than the aftermarket ones). PM me if you want to ask anything - I redid my whole system in most of a day and would not hesitate one second to do it all again if I got another A4 with an OEM stereo.

i might do what you mentioned with my car...well i think i have nochoice because my front right speakersis distorting and its bugging me.

i havent really had the chance to really get into my car since its winter and cold. the only maintenance i've done are replacing fog lights. buti dont see how difficult it could be to install you stereo system in the car, except removing door panels to get into the speakers and wiring.