B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Thinking of selling my Audi

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 12:46 AM
Default Thinking of selling my Audi

Well, I need a pickup and I'm thinking of selling the Audi. I hate to let this car go, but I can't justify another car payment. Let me know if you guys think I'm pricing the car too high. The car has LOW miles for a 98 and is in excellent to mint condition. Thanks.

http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/1027383649.html

Old 02-10-2009, 10:27 AM
Site Moderator

You might want to drain oil and reseat the oil filter. Also check to make sure the rubber seal did not get left on there so that now there are 2 on there. A common problem.

That is one great looking Santorin 98. I had the same car that got totaled a few years back. Good luck with the sale.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:21 AM
3rd Gear

Nice car. $8000 is definitely too much to pay for a '98, especially a FrontTrak, but it's in nice condition. Fix the airbag light, and you have a better chance of selling it closer to your asking price, but you're probably not going to get more than $6k. And that would have to be one very enthusiastic or naive buyer.

As for the oil leak, clean up the oil stuck on the subframe and see if the oil still "leaks". Hose it down with brake clean and rinse it with soapy water. Oil might just be stuck in there.

Good luck with the sale!

Old 02-10-2009, 11:24 AM

Thanks for the compliment. I was reading on the forums last night, I think my problem is going to be the O-ring in the oil cooler. I'll probably fix it before I get serious about selling the car.

After I fix the problem I'll probably end up lowering the price to something more reasonable. The car is just so dang nice! (almost mint!)

Thanks.

Last edited by austinpower; 02-10-2009 at 11:26 AM.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Why not keep that car, save some cash, and buy a used pickup on the cheap? You may have to do some work on it but you'd have the Audi to drive during the truck's downtime. You wouldn't have to get rid of the Audi, wouldn't have to take on a payment either if you pick up one cheap. Just an idea, although I assume that if this was an option you'd probably be doing it...still, it's worth mentioning. I think that if you do keep the car up for sale, fix the issues you have (a used combi switch can be had online for around $50 to fix the CC), and bring the price down somewhat as suggested, you'll have no problem selling the car - it's beautiful.

Last edited by ImTheDevil; 02-10-2009 at 11:41 AM.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:10 PM
5th Gear

it would def be worth that much if you didn't have those problems. i'm thinking more like 7k.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:27 PM
4th Gear

wow that car is clean. 6k is a little low for a 64k mi car even tho its a 98 non quattro u deff have a better change getting 7k+ if u fix the oil leak and airbag light

Old 02-10-2009, 02:32 PM

I will fix the oil leak before I sell. I was also thinking somewhere around $7k is a fair price for the car.

I would love to keep the car and buy a truck, but the wife hates to have a used car parking lot. I also used to have an old truck as my 3rd vehicle, but the maintenance costs didn't justify keeping the truck. It was a 1993 F150 Supercab, 256k miles. If the Audi or truck break down, I can always depend on my trusty 1999 LS400!

Thanks for all the advice.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:16 PM
1st Gear

hey I have a question for you austinpower (great name btw...)

Those rims are beautiful, I WANT THEM!!! Haha but really, are they the only wheels that you have on the car? Because If not, then i'd be very interested in buying them. They look like 17's, am i right? and what tires are on them? How much tread is left?

Again, remember, when someones buying that car, their not gunna focus really on the rims so youd get more if you sold me the rims & tires and threw the other set on and just sold that set with the car.

And If you dont have another set, forget that I even asked....

Good luck with the sale and if you are interested in selling the rims and tires then please respond back...

thanks

Old 02-11-2009, 02:24 PM
Talking

Yea, I used to have a PowerStroke F250, and I live in Austin, hence the screen name AustinPower.

Sorry, those are the only wheels I've got. If I sell them to you, do you think I can sell the car without wheels? Just kidding.

Last edited by austinpower; 02-11-2009 at 02:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Thinking of selling my Audi