B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Thinking of buying a 01 A4 1.8T FWD

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 03:04 PM
Default Thinking of buying a 01 A4 1.8T FWD

Currently I drive a 1996 Mercedes Benz C280, which has given me some maintenance head-acks but it's not so much about the money rather the time I have to spend without a car.

I went to see an 2001 Audi 1.8T today at the Audi dealership in Costa Rica (i live down here). It has 88,000 kms on it, is stock and owned by only one previous owner with full agency service records.

It's not the Quattro but it does offer the tiptonic shifting. I found there was a bit of a delay changing gears when at around 6,000 RPM and up shifting. Is this normal with the tiptonic?

The outside and engine seems fine. The inside is another story, there is quite a bit of wear and tear on the doors around the door handle (to open) and around the grab handle to close the door. The key area is also quite worn out. The center console top compartment lid is broken at the hinge so it only stays on while locked in position. The leather is a little used but not to bad. There is wear on the side columns but it's not that bad. The door handle on the driver door was a little loose, not tight like the passenger door. The wood trim on the drivers door was broken on the end towards the dash. The LCD display has 4 lines out interfering on the lower part of the display making it hard to see the selected gear and gas milleage.

Down here the cost of cars is an additional 30 - 50% of the cost of cars in the USA or Canada. With that said they are asking $13,750 with the transfer. Other cars same year are about $15,000 - $18,000 in most cases before the transfer.

What do you guys think? Should I be concerned about anything?

Thanks Nick.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:31 PM
1st Gear
Cool

spend the extra money for one that has Quattro.. trust!! if ur gona get a FWD German car, might as well get a VW...

i hav a 01 AWM B5 Quattro.. handles like a champ in any type of weather..

Old 03-04-2009, 07:39 PM

Just me but I would pass on this. Too many little things and yes must have the quattro.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:49 PM

an 01 is gonna cost ya $14k at the least? holy shiz, that sucks! not that you'll need quattro in Costa Rica but it sure is nice. i would stick with a car thats in good shape!

Old 03-04-2009, 08:07 PM
1st Gear

got the same car but quattro and mine is a little bit of a fixer upper and parts on these are expensive as crap, or at least where i live ( fayetteville AR) i had to pay 180 for a new battery and had to drive 30 min to a different town just to get it. but i love it and hopefully my risk pays out i paid 11K for mine without trade in. and mine is clean as a whistle looks new except for the broken speaker cover in the back seat cuz having sex in a area designed to fit a cat is hard lol but really back seat is really small

Old 03-04-2009, 09:16 PM

Seems the general consensus is that Quattro is a must.

I liked this one because it seemed like a good deal in comparison to others. I don't really see the Quattro being necessary down here unless I drive onto the beach but it would be nice to have and i've read that the Quattro has a much better transmission.

I did feel the car was a little compact for my taste. My benz has a lot of leg room in the front and back which is a nice comfort for guest, on the other hand the performance potential of this car is very nice since my benz has almost zero upgrades available.

I don't mind the high cost of repairing this vehicle. Trust me it can't be as bad as my Benz, that's very expensive to repair.

Thanks guys!

Old 03-04-2009, 09:27 PM
1st Gear
Talking

Originally Posted by drockmcownage
and mine is clean as a whistle looks new except for the broken speaker cover in the back seat cuz having sex in a area designed to fit a cat is hard lol but really back seat is really small
LOL!! i feel ya with the back seat space.. ive boned several bitches back there, they didnt mind for the tight squeeze just means gotta 'stick together'.. luckily most of them were asian.. hahh!

Old 03-05-2009, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by 01A4B5
LOL!! i feel ya with the back seat space.. ive boned several bitches back there, they didnt mind for the tight squeeze just means gotta 'stick together'.. luckily most of them were asian.. hahh!

Lmao. Good stuff.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:47 AM

lol.. I guess it's a pretty good analogy. How easy it is to bone a girl in the back seat of a car... In the benz you got ample space. Must be like a king size vs a single size lol..

Anyway thanks again for the comments.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:02 PM

You know the bimmer 3 series got a high ranking for that . Sorry off topic now but hope that works out for ya man.

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying a 01 A4 1.8T FWD