B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

things that go wrong with ALL A4's

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 12:59 PM
Default traction control light

hey my traction control light started coming on after about a 45 min drive...and i cant turn it back off with the ESP button on the dash..when i turn the car off and the back on the light will not be on but will turn on in like 5 mins of driving...also the speedometer is all messed up either reading way to fast or slow....anyone know if this is a speed sensor or something simple?

Old 08-29-2008, 01:02 PM
3rd Gear

Cam Chain Tensioner

Old 09-03-2008, 10:00 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by m6amba
and my airbag light is on, (BTW, MYa4T from page 2, the airbag light is caused by the connector in the drivers side seat back losing contact, mine is on right now, i am replacing the seat cushion leather this fall, and i will fix it then, but all you need to do is cut out the connector, and splice in a length of wire in its place, tape it up real good and put it all back together, viola, light off!)
Can you post where you found this fix? I.e. - since you haven't done it yet, how are you sure that this is the issue? Can you post the link for us? The airbag light on my wife's car turns on ONLY WHEN COLD, starts flickering and eventually turns off as the car gets warmer. The airbag light is NOT ON during the summer! Also, NO CODES are thrown! Now that it's starting to get cold in New England again, the light is starting to come on early in the morning.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by M3Armand; 09-03-2008 at 10:02 PM.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:41 PM

the back window regularos on my "01 a4 are both out and the sunroof is acting up and the secondary air pump has gone out of service.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:21 AM

Control Arms, Sunroofs, ABS rear right, Wheel Bearing rear right.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:24 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by M3Armand
Can you post where you found this fix? I.e. - since you haven't done it yet, how are you sure that this is the issue? Can you post the link for us? The airbag light on my wife's car turns on ONLY WHEN COLD, starts flickering and eventually turns off as the car gets warmer. The airbag light is NOT ON during the summer! Also, NO CODES are thrown! Now that it's starting to get cold in New England again, the light is starting to come on early in the morning.

Thanks in advance!
if the light is on, a code is in there. most scan tools dont scan the airbag sectors because if you do it with the wrong signal you can damage them. it needs to be done with a dealer scan tool or VAG-COM

i think the fix he is talking about is a connector under the seats for the side curtain air bags. the wire is pretty short and if you push your seat back too far it stretches this wire and can cut the connection. i believe its a yellow connector underneath your seat. this may or maynot be your problem but its something to check out.

/end threadjack

Old 11-09-2008, 05:33 PM

Water leaks into the passengers area, finally sorted after replacing windscreen sealant, draining out water in the windscreen bulkhead and fixing teh tubes for teh windscreen washers. One connector is under the N/S glove pocket and the other is obtainable through the offside stowage area which houses the safety triangle

Old 11-10-2008, 12:48 AM
1st Gear

'99 2.8Q 157k miles
-ive had issues w/ the head light switch... remove and clean- regrease... good to go.
-cruise... suspect switch, will clean
-various exhaust issues...
-lower door trim doomed
-valve tapping

getting ready to do the timming belt, valve cover seals, plugs, belt, exhaust (full custom)

Old 11-10-2008, 01:25 AM

so what causes the 2.8 to tick??
i have this problem too.
is it really bad or wat?

Old 11-10-2008, 10:52 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by rsrbljan
ABS module... howmany of us here are driving with a permanant ABS/Brake light on...

*Raises Hand*
*Raises Hand*

Quick Reply: things that go wrong with ALL A4's