B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

things that go wrong with ALL A4's

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 02:19 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: things that go wrong with ALL A4's

I've noticed that the cruise control goes out or is finiky on a lot of B5's

or maybe it was just mine...

Old 04-14-2008, 09:30 AM
1st Gear

Since I got my b5 i have replaced: timing belt, water pump, right rear wheel bearing, spark plugs (misfires) and fixed a power steering leak. All seem to be common problems. Still have a CEL come up from time to time for loose gas cap.

Oh yeah and my cruise control has never worked

Old 04-14-2008, 10:21 AM
1st Gear

Lol where should i start....my lower door trim frieken sucked...my abs like is permanently on...my center lcd doesnt display nothing but a bunch of pixels...wheels bearings have gone bad....luckily i just recently changed my water pump, timing and serpentine belt for only 650.00! Luckily my motor doesnt tick....my cruise has never worked, my windshield wiper tank leaks lol! oh and of course the infamous cheap VW/Audi door handles have broken on me twice now lol!

Old 04-14-2008, 01:06 PM
1st Gear
Location: Frankford, Ontario. 08 A5, 00 A4, 90 TT 300ZX, Ducati TT2

can I assume that the cruise control, display pixels, power window, power sunroof issues were nevr an item addressed in any recalls? I'm seeing some very common dysfunctional items here and as such, there may have been some pioneers who have found some unique or creative ways of addressing them without coasting an arm and leg.
Simple things like perhaps a vaccum leak in the cruise system is a very simple repair. I believe the power windows are vaccum controlled as well and perhaps another hose/vaccum line issue that's not too difficult to resolve.
Inherent manufacture flawslike wheel bearings and the front suspension arms and the like would have to be absorbed as collateral misfortunes and accepted as part of the norm.
Door trim issues seem like small potatoes to me.
I'm wondering if some of these issues were encountered by those who bought their B5 used as opposed to new and somehow inherited the previous owner's shortcomings.
Are all of these issues given rise to people having second thoughts as to choosing an A4?

Old 04-14-2008, 02:13 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: jschrauwen

can I assume that the cruise control, display pixels, power window, power sunroof issues were nevr an item addressed in any recalls? I'm seeing some very common dysfunctional items here and as such, there may have been some pioneers who have found some unique or creative ways of addressing them without coasting an arm and leg. Do it yourself (DIY) write-ups have been created for every problem.
Simple things like perhaps a vaccum leak in the cruise system is a very simple repair. I believe the power windows are vaccum controlled as well and perhaps another hose/vaccum line issue that's not too difficult to resolve. The regulators go out on the side windows, and the switch goes out on the sunroof.
Inherent manufacture flawslike wheel bearings and the front suspension arms and the like would have to be absorbed as collateral misfortunes and accepted as part of the norm. Werd.
Door trim issues seem like small potatoes to me.
I'm wondering if some of these issues were encountered by those who bought their B5 used as opposed to new and somehow inherited the previous owner's shortcomings.
Are all of these issues given rise to people having second thoughts as to choosing an A4? I'm sure they have. Having an Audi is cheap; maintaining is sometimes the opposite.

Old 04-14-2008, 03:48 PM
4th Gear

well after talking to some people ive noticed that alot of people had a caliper seize on hihger mileage cars, and most people told me its the front passenger side (exactly the one that failed on my car last week).

Old 08-24-2008, 07:10 AM

anyone know why my rear driver side window will not go down the whole way. The window works smoothly, but will not open entirely....

Old 08-24-2008, 08:25 AM

well just bought this car last week, and my first experiance with audi, although beena tech for 20 years. I ll tell you what i found wrong with mine, it has 120k on it.
1)check engine loght on, replace intake air temp sensor
2)coolant flange on rear of cyl head leaking
3)sunroof stays in tilt have to wiggle switch to close
4)air bag light on, havent diagnosed that yet
5}rear axle seals on diff slinging grease
6)crank seal leaking oil. mabey cam seal too didnt pull cover off yet
7)air cond not cold, it is not low i already did evac and recharge(some idiot over charged it) i think there is a restriction, possiably expansion valve

other than those few things seems ok, minor dings and scratches. Gonna put on tbelt next week and flush the coolant, just because i want peace of mund to know its been done.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:33 AM
Administrator

Combination switches fail, taking out your cruise control and/or headlights. And wheel bearings - B5s seem to eat wheel bearings like popcorn.

Old 08-24-2008, 11:16 AM
1st Gear

All of these issues are common to all Audis. The original Turbo Quattro Coupe's did not even start when they tried to unload them from the boat, brand new! IMHO it is all about not abusing them, and when you buy them used you are rolling the dice. Are they worth the hassle? On a drive from Telluride to the Aspen area with my family in the car, 6" of snow in white out conditions, we calmly and safely arrived at our house in Carbondale. There are not very many cars around that can do that.

Quick Reply: things that go wrong with ALL A4's