B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

things that go wrong with ALL A4's

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 07:38 PM
1st Gear

Anyone ever have a leaky strut on the convertible top on an A4? When the top is down there is an oily spot on the deck. I wipe it off and it reappears when I put the top back up. Your help is appreciated !

Old 12-16-2012, 11:44 AM
1st Gear

power steering pump goes out,cruise doesnt work a/c just stopped working yesterday, lumbar support breaks in drivers seat,$50.kit just to replace panel clips to see what broke ,havent done that yet, hah yet.afraid to touch the car in fear of setting off dash lights or airbags blowing if you try with the batt conected .not to mention the radio,didnt buy the car new so how much to find out the codes? this quattro is a nice car but i dont think any of us really know just how deep we really are!

Old 12-16-2012, 12:12 PM

All that stuff goes wrong on normal cars. Theres this thing called, wear and tear, when something has been used 100k + miles things tend to need replacing.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:50 PM
1st Gear

premature wear of the tires
rear wheel bearing and i need all new struts
and that damn tick how do i get rid of it

Old 01-22-2013, 07:02 PM
1st Gear

Serpentine Belt (fan belt) pulley
wheel bearings
drive side inside door handle (loose)
ABS/Brake light
Check engine light (goes off if i disconnect battery only to come back at 300 miles)
AC/HOT AIR fan makes a noise? not sure what this could be its almost a gurgling sound behind my vents
exhaust leaks (flex pipe)
tick

Old 01-22-2013, 07:10 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by sbaer2
Serpentine Belt (fan belt) pulley
wheel bearings
drive side inside door handle (loose)
ABS/Brake light
Check engine light (goes off if i disconnect battery only to come back at 300 miles)
AC/HOT AIR fan makes a noise? not sure what this could be its almost a gurgling sound behind my vents
exhaust leaks (flex pipe)
tick
Serp belt is easy to fix, even with the front end assembled. Wheel bearings are common on these cars. Door handle just needs the spring replaced - remind me on your way through - I have several. ABS/brake light is a wear indicator on the pads, bad/dirty wheel speed sensor, or (if you get 3 beeps at startup) a bad ABS controller that needs rebuilding. CEL needs to be scanned - we can do that too. Blower motor is on its way out or you have a bunch of **** hitting it that needs to be cleaned out. Flexpipes are a replacement job for a welding/exhaust shop. Ticking noise we can look into as well.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:31 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
Serp belt is easy to fix, even with the front end assembled. Wheel bearings are common on these cars. Door handle just needs the spring replaced - remind me on your way through - I have several. ABS/brake light is a wear indicator on the pads, bad/dirty wheel speed sensor, or (if you get 3 beeps at startup) a bad ABS controller that needs rebuilding. CEL needs to be scanned - we can do that too. Blower motor is on its way out or you have a bunch of **** hitting it that needs to be cleaned out. Flexpipes are a replacement job for a welding/exhaust shop. Ticking noise we can look into as well.
Well the serpentine belt/pully are being fixed right now and i already fixed flex pipe. The ABS/Brake light is DEF a bad module because i hear the three beats at start up. But yeah i was afraid it was my blower motor ...how much do they run for repair/installation do you think? The ticking noise im not too worried about because its the first second if that from a cold start up and it goes away only when i do a fresh oil change it comes back for a couple weeks but it dissapears after awhile. (at least it did last time haha)

Old 01-22-2013, 07:35 PM
Administrator

Seafoam in the oil may take care of the tick. At first start, if it ticks for a second and goes away, it's normal. Blower motor I believe can be swapped out by removing the glovebox. They're cheap at a junkyard and should be a DIY.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:38 AM
1st Gear

i have a 2003 1.8t a4. my esp light comes on shortly after i start the car and doesnt turn off until i shut it off. i have noticed since it has been on my rpm's will like cut out randomly and almost stall out? any ideas on what this is?

Old 02-27-2013, 06:42 AM
4th Gear

Oh great... now the next time someone searches wiper, or wiper fluid, or wiper fluid failure, they are going to come across another completely UNRELATED problem!

Quick Reply: things that go wrong with ALL A4's