B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

things that go wrong with ALL A4's

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 05:01 AM
1st Gear
Default Issues, fixes and solutions!

B5 1.8T bought it used - I'm the third owner (bought it with 47K) and it only has 65K on the clock.

My 20K mile experience:

1. O2 sensor - fixed it at the Audi dealer for $400

2. CV boot joint driver's side - fixed it at a local mechanic for $150.

3. Passenger's front door lower trim molding - bought it online from OEM / Performance Parts for Audi, BMW, Mercedes Benz, Mini, Porsche & Volkswagen - ECS Tuning and replaced it myself; part cost $55

4. Driver's side front control arm at a local mechanic for $350 (he disturbed the ABS sensor in the process - had to go to the dealer to check what it was - they reset it for $100!)

5. Windshield washer pump - bought it online from my favorite website Auto Parts at AutohausAZ - OEM Auto Parts - Discount Replacement Parts, Resources and Car Care Tips for $11 and had it installed by a mechanic for $50 - do it yourself though.

6. Windshield washer hose was loose - it took me and my mechanic an hour to trouble shoot the issue - $50.

Things I haven't fixed (yet):

7. Loose inner door handle for the driver's side

8. Cup holder

9. The seat for the driver's side lower right leather panel is ripped

10. My steering wheel squeaks when I turn to the right

11. Power steering fluid was low the other day ...let's hope it is nothing bad

IMO, if you replace something, get the OEM parts otherwise you will have issues...I love getting my parts from these guys Auto Parts at AutohausAZ - OEM Auto Parts - Discount Replacement Parts, Resources and Car Care Tips, they have the OE(M) parts, they ship it fast and they are very cheap (for Audi parts that is).

Try to avoid the dealership; find a mechanic who you can trust and someone who will let you buy your own parts. Example: Audi dealership will charge you $120+ to replace the cabin filter and about the same for the air filter. I get them both OEM from autohausaz.com for $10 each and install them myself!

So long...

Old 02-08-2012, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by greatlakes40
My 20K mile experience:

1. O2 sensor - fixed it at the Audi dealer for $400
Yikes! Seems like you learned from that mistake; you can find Bosch replacement O2 sensors for <$100 and replace yourself with a ~$20 crow's foot O2 sensor tool to save lots of money.
Good choice on your selections for online parts shopping

Old 07-27-2012, 08:45 AM
1st Gear

Only a few annoyances on my '01 2.8Q: trouble closing the sunroof, the inside trim near the headliner on the driver's side has fallen off(???), and the ubiquitous pixel failure on the message gauge. Other than that (I'm banging on my wood desk), I haven't had any other problems.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:43 AM
1st Gear

Bought my '01 B5 in 2004 with 35K on it. As of today, it has 167234 miles.

Other than the normal maintenance, this is what I remember having issues with.

MAF at about 110K
Outer door trim replaced at 125K
LCD Display
Coolant temp sensor
Vacuum lines
Front inner CV boots
Right rear wheel bearings (5)
Left ear wheel bearings (2)
Rear top link bushes
Diverter valve
N75
Coil Packs, (7)
Arm rest lid
Rattle/ buzz somewhere in the dash
Creaking /groaning sterring wheel
Turn signal/Hazard light switch
Brake light switch
Header tank/Expansion tank split
"L" pipe to "suction pump" split
Left and Right side front axle output flange seals
Cam cover gasket
Engine/crank speed sensor

Personally, I think this is a remarkably low number of failures, even though some of them could have been prevented by Audi with a bit more fore thought. It is by far the best car I have ever owned and I plan on keeping it running until it is impossible to do so.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:04 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Mya4T
air bag light
OHHH!!! I'm so glad to hear that!!

Old 10-04-2012, 05:53 PM
1st Gear
Default Coolant leak please help!!!!

I have a A4 B5 1.8t and there is coolant leaking from a hose on the rear side of the engine and it has an electrical connector on it and I was wondering if anyone can tell me what that hose is and If I could get a part number?

Old 10-04-2012, 06:42 PM
4th Gear

coolant flange... different part numbers for different years.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:57 AM
1st Gear

i don't blame the car i blame the owners they let **** expire or go bad because they don't want to spend money on fixing it till its late true story i know many people like this.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:50 AM
Default 1997 Audi quattro a4 transmission issue?

I have a 1997 Audi quattro a4 and I am having issues with the transmission when you put it in gear it goes into drive reverse and neutral but when you give it gas it won't accelerate til high in the rpms and even then it seems like it has no get up and go its really sluggish I need help and maybe someone can give me some hints on how to fix it

Old 10-14-2012, 09:56 AM

if it were manual i would say clutch, since its auto im not sure if the torque converter has the same effects as a clutch.

Quick Reply: things that go wrong with ALL A4's