B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

things that go wrong with ALL A4's

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 08:58 AM
1st Gear

Mine has the airbag permanently on, but one thing that puzzles me is the rear passenger window. When door is closed the glass wont go down, when the door is opened it will go down !!

Old 11-29-2010, 12:50 PM
1st Gear

Does anyone have a link to a complete teardown of a B5 A4? I have a 99 1.8T Quattro and the fuse for the blower motor in the heat/ac keeps popping. I disconnected the motor itself and it still blows fuses, also disconnected the reostat figuring it may be bad and causing a short... still blows fuses. To my knowledge there is nothing else on the circut and I don't know what could be causing this. Any ideas?

Old 11-29-2010, 04:31 PM
1st Gear

The paint on the driver side interior door handle wears off.
Cruise control is always messed up
Lower trim is ****
Fuel gauge is terrible
Seats rip at seams
Heated seats go out
1.8's beware timing belt and sludge or you're life will suck

Old 12-08-2011, 12:52 PM
1st Gear

The chrome trim glued to the door came off when i was pressure washing my 99 2.8L.
Nobody could seem to be able to drive my car but me because they couldn't get my clutch figured out. control arms break easy, especially when you hit a pothole just right.
Rear left caliper broke, just about melted the rotor when it and the pad almost caught fire. Sound system locked itself when i replaced my battery, never did find the code to unlock it. . So new head unit, and there was no bass(Factory amplified go figure). Lights dim at high speeds. The alarm would go off if you locked the car with you inside it(to sleep before that awesome graveyard shift), then moved around.
The list of quirks can go on. however, mechanically, the car was sound at 201k miles. loved it so much, im going back, 2.5TDI this time though.

*Edit*
Oh yea, the phantom warning lights that say there is something always wrong with your car. Yes, the ABS, Airbag, Check Engine, Oil(even after you changed the filter). And about 20 different error codes telling you your not going fast enough, your fuel mixture is too lean, and your exhaust smells funny(haha).

Last edited by AudiInfantry; 12-08-2011 at 01:09 PM. Reason: A few more things
Old 12-08-2011, 08:58 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by pbbg
my list of my problems since 66k

spring broke. like 100 miles in when i bought it.
wheel bearings the whole way around at like 70k
o2 sensors going off at 80k haven't touched them yet but i think now it is affecting the cars performance just a little.
cracked the oil pan at 90. my fault
sunroof, cruise control and ignition switch went out at 100k
valve gaskets at 110k

somewhere in there as well the electric line on the front right for my abs came off and rubbed up against the tires. the lines would short out as i turned and set the brakes off. took a look noticed the problem soldered the wires back and taped them up and zip tied them back in place and haven't had a problem yet.
bump, just had my valve cover gaskets done too @ 119k

Old 12-12-2011, 02:27 AM
1st Gear
Talking

Just picked up a clean black 2001 A4 2.8Q AT: 103K miles. Here are some things that promptly sprung up:
- power door locks don't work;
- left rear window won't go down;
- constant Airbag Light
- CEL: not sure exactly what's wrong but there is a slight oil leak...eek...
- needs new timing belt (says the local mechanic)

Some surprising things:
- cruise actually works
- headlight washers work
- sunroof opens/closes pretty well so far

Getting overall around 20 MPG or range of around 240 miles.

Still makes me smile every time I get behind the wheel though...
CJ

Last edited by Cj3209; 12-12-2011 at 02:30 AM.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:08 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Cj3209
Just picked up a clean black 2001 A4 2.8Q AT: 103K miles. Here are some things that promptly sprung up:
- power door locks don't work;
Do you hear humming in the trunk when you try to lock or unlock? On the right hand side in the trunk is the locking module. It has a small graphite compressor in it that likes to disintegrate. Remove the little cubby hole thing (just lift up, it will pop out) then pull the lining out and you will find it wrapped in foam. Disassemble and you will see what I'm talking about.

left rear window won't go down;
Probably the regulator and/ or regulator motor, but check to make sure the switches are still connected.

constant Airbag Light
You'll need VAG-COM from Ross Tech for that one. A connector under the seat probably because momentarily disconnected while adjusting the seat and the light will stay on until manual reset.

CEL: not sure exactly what's wrong but there is a slight oil leak...eek...
A free scan from Auto Zone or similar will tell you what the CEL is for (but your gas mileage seems a little low, so I bet that has something to do with it.).

needs new timing belt (says the local mechanic)
Do it yourself and save about 900 bucks: Audi A4 Timing Belt - Audi A4 Timing Belt Kit - Enhanced

Old 12-12-2011, 08:42 AM
1st Gear

Some surprising things:
- cruise actually works
- headlight washers work
- sunroof opens/closes pretty well so far

Getting overall around 20 MPG or range of around 240 miles.
CJ
Yea, it took me a while to figure out how the headlight washers worked.. crazy, my 2.5 doesn't have them though. but has one piece headlights that apparently came stock with it.

Cruise was nice in my 2.8, here on the autobahn, it would be nice to have.

My sunroof had problems toward the end of her life.

20MPG? that is low man. i was averaging 30 at least in the city, and closer to 40 on the highway. heck this TDI gets like 46HWY. then again, the 2.8 was a 5spd.
does your cruise get you back to speed if you have to brake and then turn it back on again, or do you have to get back to speed before you engage it again?

Old 12-13-2011, 03:14 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by AudiInfantry
20MPG? that is low man. i was averaging 30 at least in the city, and closer to 40 on the highway. heck this TDI gets like 46HWY. then again, the 2.8 was a 5spd.
does your cruise get you back to speed if you have to brake and then turn it back on again, or do you have to get back to speed before you engage it again?
Let me test that on my cruise. 20mpg ave for city/hwy.

Thx,
CJ

Last edited by Cj3209; 12-13-2011 at 03:16 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:16 PM
1st Gear
Default 06 a4 2.0t

when i constantly switch from auto to manual my check engine light comes on and then shuts off after i restart the car..

Quick Reply: things that go wrong with ALL A4's