B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

things that go wrong with ALL A4's

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 07:40 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by milehighpilot
both my Cv joints/boots went, and dont forget the lovely LCD center in the console that gets lines or fails, or as in my case both and still doesnt work right randonly when reading temps, a week ago it was -54 degrees here..... and i live in florida
yes i can agree to this 100%. i've found that the temp sensor, in front of the AC radiator behind the lower grille, if you tape the connections on it to keep water out, seems to work better. I too live in florida and when it's pouring outside, hot, and your gauge reads -50 the auto climate turns on heat on high

Old 10-06-2009, 07:57 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by rsrbljan
ABS module... howmany of us here are driving with a permanant ABS/Brake light on...

*Raises Hand*
Hahahaha.. I've had this problem three times. First time around I had no choice but to fork over a grand for a new module. The second time around, there was a repair kit that cost only half as much. Now it came back last winter, so I guess I will be putting in another. I live in the northeast (jersey) where we get plenty of snow & ice so I guess it on to #3. Can't drive without ABS in the winter.

But it doesnt beat the lousy audi/skoda/vw headlamps that burned out in 6 months in early 2000's.

Old 04-27-2010, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Darkprodo
lol... you all went from common problems to every problems you've ever had.

A4
window regulators
abs control modules
upper control arm bushings
rear differential axle seals
DID pixelation
headlight washer cylinder jets

1.8t
cam tensioners seal / valve cover
vacuum leak (from broken hoses and check valves)
ignition coils
coolant flange / coolant temp sensor
diverter valve

vacuum lines / check valves
breather hoses
cam tensioner seals

coolant flange / temp sensor
ignition coils

2.7 lol... where to begin

coolant flange / temp sensor
cam tensioner seals
MAF
ignition coils
turbos
catalytic converters

those are common, what i've seen everyday for years.
i have an 02 a4 1.8t and my front right (passenger side) wheel locked up and i don't know what to do..any suggestions?..thanks

Old 04-27-2010, 06:37 PM
Default 2.5tdi idle too high

Newbie here, please help, my2000 A4 2.5tdi quattro auto, idles too high -- 1140RPM when warm -- goes into reverse or drive with a big BANG!
No fault codes logged, -- any ideas?

Old 04-28-2010, 03:13 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by SAudi
well after talking to some people ive noticed that alot of people had a caliper seize on hihger mileage cars, and most people told me its the front passenger side (exactly the one that failed on my car last week).
Hey, does it rattle or just simply fails when you brake? I almost got into an accident many times because my right passenger side brakes don't work when I'm turning right. I simply had to use my hand brakes to stop the car. Do I need new calipers?

Old 04-28-2010, 02:50 PM

Yup, the sunroof only goes one way and I have changed the steering rack and pump already. I can't really complain because the 98 A4 has 225000 miles and still starts and runs everyday.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:02 AM
1st Gear

Lol Everything mentioned Above Went Out On 98 A4 2.8L V6 Quattro, Controll Arms Are wearing badly, sunroof works only on occation and my ABS Module went out about a year ago. Also The Power Locks Stopped Working. Now I Gotta Open And Lock Each Door Manually... But Shes STill The LOVE OF MY LIFE!

Old 06-01-2010, 02:28 PM
Default motor issues

the two biggest things you need to watch out for on B5's are the motor issues. if a 30V 2.8 leaks oil, run, far. it is not an easy fix of a simple valve cover gasket as the owner might mention, unless you own your own shop it will cost you at least $1000 (thats what I charge). the next issue is with all 5V turbos. you must get METICULOUS oil change records showing 5k at the most in between intervals. synthetic oil would be strongly recommended but not totally necessary. Oil sludge can kill these cars in less than 120k if the oil was not changed properly.

Old 06-01-2010, 03:18 PM

I've changed, all the front control arms, radiator, timing belt/waterpump/tensioner, 4 wheel bearings, rear springs/struts (cracked), clutch this summer.

I dont care to fix the pixelation on the screen. I doubt I buy another german car for a while. Even though I dont pay the ridiculous labor rates, I just havent been impressed with a lot of the design and over engineering. That said, the car hasn't been tooo bad to me.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:53 PM
2nd Gear
Thumbs up

I've been one of the new Audi owners,thats never owned one,yet i rolled the dice,BIG TIME! I bought my 2001 Audi A4 1.8T "as is"from a dealership that specializes in BMW/Audi/Saab/Mercedes ect..

I went in on a Audi with no prior knowlege about them,other than what i've read on reviews by googling,i was horrified by what i read.

I fell in love with her,the first time i laid eyes on her,she seem to cry out to me,buy me and take care of me.

Now,i am one of the rare cases,when nothing "major"was wrong with the car apon purchase,only things i can think of was the windshielf wiper reservoir was leaking,brought it back and they fixed it as i watched and even talked to the russian guy who was fixing it. lol its owned by Russians by the way.

The dealership that i bought her from,got it from an auction,like the do all of their cars they sell. I called a Audi/porche dealership,where i believe the car was purchased by the orignal owner,(had only one owner by the way)and asked for the cars service record history. I had them fax it to me,the last time this car was seen at that dealership was 2007,so who knows what happend for 3 years but whatever the case,the previous owner took great care of her,the first owners service record was pretty good.

02/19/2010 was the day i purchased her,so i'd say its only been about 3 months i've owned the car,give or take a few weeks,so their is plenty time to get to know all of you guys pain

I've changed the oil about 3 weeks ago,changed the brake pads and rotors all around,got the brakes and rotors from Autozone,(not the cheap pads either)european ones,Life time limited warranty,free pads until i sell the car and 2 years warranty on all 4 rotors.

So...in closing to date,i've only had the normal service brake light and window washer resirvor come on,do to the level being low,because of the leak but thats been fixed and the front and back brake pads have been changed.

I want to get the major tune ups done,eventially,water pump,timing belt,ect...maybe around next tax season,when i get my income tax money

P.S. I got my front driver seat repaired but that wasn't my doing,took it to get the windows tinted,35% all around,when i got the car back,there was a tear in the seam,had those ******* flip the bill and fix it,they got it done,i even watched them take my seat out and strip the leather off the seat at the restoration shop,it was cool to see how they do it,did a great job,looks good as knew!

Til next check engine light,fellas

Quick Reply: things that go wrong with ALL A4's