B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

things that go wrong with ALL A4's

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 05:01 PM
1st Gear

My transmission blew up at 107,000 miles. I have owned this car for 7 months and am sadly still able to find new cases of pure neglect from the prior owner! Most poeple I have talked to hate VW and Audis so the only place that willingly take my car and that I trust is the VW dealer. Getting a new racing tranny put in now from IPT. It handles twice as much power as a stocker and cheaper too! Transmissions are their specialty.So glad the engine runs so well. Had the new belts, leaks and everything fixed a couple days before the tranny blew.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:45 AM
1st Gear

I found a guy with diag software that shut the damn light off!

Old 04-26-2009, 08:23 PM

haha my cruise control only works once a day.. so you only have one chance to use it. I got the car with problems, fixed them and so far only have had minor problems. Gotta do alot of work this summer, clutch, tb, wp, k04 =), fmic and more crap..

Old 04-27-2009, 01:16 PM
1st Gear
Default including B5 engine performance things and T10 connector

Originally Posted by SAudi
well ive been thinking and alot of new peeps have been asking about the same thing that fails, not only failing but usually the same thing on the same side.

example, its always the right rear ABS sensor that fails or the first wheel bearing to go is the right rear, my front right caliper froze today and from searching so did many others, 1.8t always break the t belt or get sludge, the 2.8s always develop a tick

anyone wanna add. hopefully it'll help some newbs.
T10 connector behind plenum on the passenger side is yellow in color and routes cam shaft position sensor, engine coolant temperature, and throttle position sensor. If you get codes related to these sensors and have starting and idle problems. disengage this connector and clean contacts before you replace any engine performance related sensors that go through this connector. assure wires are not loose on back side of connector.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:19 PM
1st Gear

VAGS Creader is very reasonable tool to get your codes to help isolate your problems.

good Luck to all you do it yourselfers.

put all your savings into a Roth IRA.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:52 PM
2nd Gear

Oil pan FAIL!!

I was driving about 1/2 a mph through a parking space thinking my path of travel was un-obstructed when I was stopped abrubtly by a parking block. I figured I was traveling too slow to cause any real damage, but I was very wrong. The minor impact was enough to put a 3" diagonal crack in the SIDE of my oil pan. That's right, the side, not the bottom where it actually made contact.

Paper-thin cast aluminum makes a very vulernable oil pan.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:31 PM
1st Gear

Airbag light is on..
Shifter bushings are shot, feels like i'm driving a 1990 F150 work truck
Control arms or bushings are going, I get clunks over bumps and wierd shimmy sometimes.
Rear drivers side window doesn't go down.

The car is perfect other than that. Stock floormats, the leather isn't even worn at all. 79k and its a '96 A4 QM

Old 05-07-2009, 11:49 AM
1st Gear

2000 A4 quattro 2.8v6
I had to replace the rear wheel bearings and the hazard/turn signal relay switch (was confused when my turn signals stopped working out of no where).
- The side skirts are starting to fall off
- The auto-tint on my drivers side mirror is peeling off
- My hood latch froze (and I broke off the handle pulling on it trying to get it open)
- My trunk-lid shocks are crazy "tight" (meaning you have to really strain to open/close the trunk)
- Rear drivers side caliper froze
- The range on the keyless entry/alarm totally sucks

Other than that (haha) the car is in great shape, interior is flawless, power everything works, no dash warning lights, engine runs great, etc.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:24 PM
2nd Gear

Ignition coils, had my first one fail yesterday. Heard it's a common problem for the 1.8t though.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:09 AM
2nd Gear

cruise control

Quick Reply: things that go wrong with ALL A4's