B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

things that go wrong with ALL A4's

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by rsrbljan
ABS module... howmany of us here are driving with a permanant ABS/Brake light on...

*Raises Hand*
bought my 98.5 a4 1.8T at 146k. The bomb when well, not so good when sick.
So far...

ect
17535..yet to find out how this ends
and of course....ABS

Old 02-16-2009, 05:54 PM
2nd Gear

Mine keeps losing gas every time I drive it. Seems to correspond with the distance I drive it. damnest thing. about every 300 miles or so I gotta put more gas in.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:14 PM
1st Gear

My ABS module went out and I drive around with the ABS light on and the brake light flashing. Also my airbag light stays on because of my seat airbag only pressurized enough to blow the seam but not the bag. It's like the airbag decided to deploy then changed it's mind. Strange....

Old 02-25-2009, 04:54 PM

got 2 audis:

2003 A4 Quattro 1.8T:
The light bulbs always go out. Front headlight, rear lights, everything.
Only problem thus far. Got 100K on it now. Need to change timing belt soon (already did serpentine)

1998 A4 Quattro 2.8:
Wheel bearing. I dont understand why the car eats the wheel bearing.
Have 88K on it, only problem so far.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:16 PM
1st Gear

the effin door moldings grrrr!

Old 02-26-2009, 09:52 AM
1st Gear
Default Update:

I posted on this thread before about my B5 but there is more now. My powersteering pump is low all of a sudden now. Haven't checked to see if it's leaking. I took it to the VW dealership in town because the closest one is 2 1/2 hours away. I had them run a full diagnostic and the car shoes quite a few codes. I only trust the dealer and a custom automotive shop shop where I live. Picky bastard I am!

Brake Light Switch:
Main Catalist, Bank 1:
Airbag Light: Pulled 3 codes for this
ABS:

Now for the leaks.
Oil pan leaks because a bolt was stripped by prior owner. Top piece is what is bad and for the 2.8. It cost $480.00 at the dealer and is the only place I have been able to find it. No junk yard parts for me but it will be helicoiled instead. Almost all the camseals have to be replaced because off leakage. Mine is the 30 valve too. Leaking from one valve cover as well and there is a sensor or two that are bad. The engine has almost 105,000 miles and the timing belt has never been done along with the serpentine that is in really bad shape. Despite all these problems though. Their head technician said that the engine runs surprisingly well for the mileage. Nothing is wronge with it other than lack of maintenance which I geuss is the reason it became my car. When all this is done and lots of money spent. I will be back on here to write about the DIY wiring job that will be tackled under the hood and causes problems with a few other electrical objects in the car. Just remembered that the fan clutch is bad too and that's also getting replaced.

After all that is said and done. I will be installing new suspension. The fact that I just found out I have a blown rear shock just speeds up this process. Been thinking of getting the H&R Ultra Low Coilover setup along with H&R F/R sway bars. Can anyone give me insight as to how it has changed a B5 chassis? I hope to take my car to the road course this year.

Recently I got tired of feeling warped brake rotors so I repainted the calipers red and installed EBC Red Stuff brake pads along with Zimmerman crossdrilled rotors. The car stops exceptionaly well compared to before with no pulling or pulsating to either side and if you can't tell. I drive the **** out of this car alot at times

Old 02-26-2009, 11:33 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by carguyno1
...Been thinking of getting the H&R Ultra Low Coilover setup ...
Very, very bad idea... If you're worried about the oil pan now, just be happy that it's still there. The locations of these parts make it VERY vulnerable to bottoming out. In my opinion, lowering the A4 too low is possibly one of the worst things that you could do to the car. Ask me how I know on a different thread since this topic doesn't belong here.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:53 PM
1st Gear

This isn't something that went wrong with mine, but I still wish the factory would address. I wanted a windscreen when I purchased my Audi 4 Cabrio, but the dealer had none to offer me. My hair is down to bra-strap level, which just blows all over the place with the top down. And, if you can't put the top down, then what's the point in having a convertible? I purchased an aftermarket Audi 4 windscreen (windblocker) that's works for me.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:26 PM

Hello, just wanted to add my tales to your lists. Rack just went last weekend and I'm having a hard time finding a ZF here on Long Island. Just last night my headlights would not come on. Whats a boy to do?

Old 04-25-2009, 12:48 PM
Administrator

PM me with an email address. I can help you get your headlights working again until you get a new switch (that's 99% likely the reason they don't work).

Quick Reply: things that go wrong with ALL A4's