B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

They took my license

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 07:55 PM
3rd Gear

i find it hard to believe that a cop would give you a ticket immediately on the spot for that. as soon as you saw headlights you should have been able to get off the road if you were ready to "just hop back in and get out of the way" as you said. if his lights were on from 500 yards back you would have enough time to jump in and get to the side of the road and been back out of the car before he got up to you. he turns his lights on not so that you dont move out of the way of traffic, but so that you know its a cop and that other cops can easily spot his car if necessary, and you know that he sees you.

then it would just be a matter of explaining yourselves, that you were 'art students' that needed to get some night pictures for a project and this was the perfect light to do it and that he was the first car youve seen in x-number of minutes and you were watching for people coming and show him your camera and tell him you were just leaving. if you had done that you would probably still have your license and money. im sure he was just checking that you werent vandalizing the bridge or disrupting traffic.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:29 PM
1st Gear

Ghost, thats a great idea about the whole art student thing, except for the fact that your thoughts about cops and what-not are somewhat off here.

First off, when cops turn their lights on, you should never get in and move ANY car for that matter as they might think that you are are trying to run, and especially since we were underneath a dark bridge late, they might think that. He also had his spot light on my face the whole time, so I wanted to make it look like we werent doing anything wrong. If he would of not turned his lights on from so far away I would have gotten in my car and moved it, but I waited outside for him to get there so that it looked like we werent doing anything wrong.

Also, if we werent doing anything wrong, then yes, he would of let us go, but you forgot about the original situation here, Nick has a suspended license so the fact that he got in his car at all means that he had "operation of a motor vehicle" which, even if its 2" or 5 feet, is a violation of his suspension.

I am on probation and the cop just told me to go home, so I got off the hook fine, but I wasnt worried anyways, I was just worried about Nick, who had to sit in the back of the Cruiser for 20 some minutes.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:45 PM
1st Gear

so your girlfriend should have gotten in the car and moved it, not you. even if you only moved it 3" as you say, the fact that you got in makes the cop believe that you were the one that drove the car there in the first place.

the thing about probation or in your case a restricted license is that you are in that situation because you ALREADY ran out of warnings. the next thing you do is almost always going to have more serious consequences.

dont get me wrong, in your situation i would have wanted to be out taking pics of my car too. but you have to think before you act thats all im saying

Old 04-29-2009, 12:31 AM

Did you graduate highschool? You really made no sense in what you tried to tell us. And why would you drive on a suspended license? Your father is looking out for you. I hope you dont f*uck this up.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:24 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Witwer4444
but you forgot about the original situation here, Nick has a suspended license so the fact that he got in his car at all means that he had "operation of a motor vehicle" which, even if its 2" or 5 feet, is a violation of his suspension.
ah.....i didnt realize restricted license meant suspended license. so the OP was driving on a suspended license already, then got caught by the cops and had it suspended another 60 somthing days, now you want advice on how to re-enable the car so you can go driving some more on a suspended license? just want to make sure that is correct because it sounds mildly retarded to me. in that case you should have known not to set foot in the car.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:50 AM
4th Gear

You take that car out after getting busted and they will tow it. Bet your dad will do more than just take the key after that... Need to grow up here.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:08 PM
1st Gear

Your father is DOING YOU a favor. Obviously, he's well aware of your situation and is trying to help you not get into further trouble.

I think that was an irresponsible move driving your car knowing your license is suspended.
Whether or not the suspension is uplifted in 3 days doesnt change the fact at the moment this happened it was suspended.

Secondly, dont you think driving around your town, that cop will see you again and stop you .....yet again?

Old 04-29-2009, 01:47 PM

You guys sound awesome. You're trying to drive with a suspended license AND your buddy is on probation? Good times!

Old 04-29-2009, 02:04 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by yeahright
You guys sound awesome. You're trying to drive with a suspended license AND your buddy is on probation? Good times!

hahaha...I missed that his buddy was on probation... I'm sure its the cops fault that he's on probi now...lol

also, i've never heard of a "private highway"

Old 04-29-2009, 02:25 PM
3rd Gear

You will get pulled over again and you will have your license taken for years.... an ex friend of mine got pulled over on a suspended license first time he got really damn lucky. 2nd time he got put in jail for almost 3 months cuz he didn't have bail money. Through that time I decided I didn't want to be friends w/ someone always getting in trouble. Good luck don't drop the soap!

Quick Reply: They took my license