B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Is there a difference in B5 years?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 06:18 PM
1st Gear
Default Is there a difference in B5 years?

As I search for B5's I see a lot of 1999's and lower and a lot of 2001's.

Besides the "facelift", are there any differences I should look out for? Do we prefer one over the other for any certain reason?

Old 09-27-2013, 06:43 PM

If you're looking into the 1.8T, then there are differences aside from the facelift.
1996-1999.5: AEB engine, large-port head, 058 block. From what I've seen there are some minor changes in 1998.5 such as the '557P' ECU, and sensors and things. It's enough of a change that several components won't work with 1998.0 and earlier AEB engines.

2000: ATW engine, small-port head, 058 block. This still uses a narrowband oxygen sensor.

2001: AWM engine, small-port head, 06A block. This got a wideband O2 sensor for proper closed-loop fueling, and also got VVT (variable valve timing). I believe 2001.5 models got a power boost to 170hp through increased boost pressure.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:20 PM
1st Gear

From a modding perspective (chip, bigger turbo, etc)
is a 2001+ better than a 2000?

Old 09-27-2013, 07:31 PM
2nd Gear

2001 is the cheapest and easiest to tune properly, that is an actual tune and not just an MBC and FPR. There are dozens of private tuners that specialize in wideband 1.8t's, this means tunes that are better and much cheaper than the usual big-name brands. The only advantage of the AEB is the larger intake ports, but that's only if you're making 350+ whp, any less and you'll be losing torque when compared to the small ports. It is possible to convert an ATW to run on AWM electronics, which means wideband and VVT.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:47 PM
1st Gear

Wow, very knowledgeable, thank you.

So to get it tuned I'll be spending more money, got it.

What about parts and maintenance? I'm not looking to become the next race car driver, 250hp should be fine lol

Old 09-28-2013, 11:10 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by MetalMan
If you're looking into the 1.8T, then there are differences aside from the facelift.
1996-1999.5: AEB engine, large-port head, 058 block. From what I've seen there are some minor changes in 1998.5 such as the '557P' ECU, and sensors and things. It's enough of a change that several components won't work with 1998.0 and earlier AEB engines.

2000: ATW engine, small-port head, 058 block. This still uses a narrowband oxygen sensor.

2001: AWM engine, small-port head, 06A block. This got a wideband O2 sensor for proper closed-loop fueling, and also got VVT (variable valve timing). I believe 2001.5 models got a power boost to 170hp through increased boost pressure.

Can we confirm VVT for the 2001.5?.........because that would be fantastic!

Old 09-28-2013, 12:26 PM
2nd Gear

For anyone looking at this seeking visual differences: Mark's A4 Quattrobonium - A4 Differences

Old 09-28-2013, 01:04 PM
Site Moderator/B5 Tech Guru

Originally Posted by A4TurboGuy
Can we confirm VVT for the 2001.5?.........because that would be fantastic!
Yes. You can also confirm it by going and looking at the back of the head. If there is a plug/connector going into the cam chain tensioner then you have VVT. The VVT is only used for emissions purposes. However some aftermarket tuners have been able to take control of the VVT and have seen power benefits from tweaking it.

There are early and late versions of the AEB. 1997 was the first year of the AEB in the US. I'm unsure if the changes below were made in 98, but they were definitely in place by 99.

Early versions have a flat valve cover with no "hump" for a breather port. Late AEBs will have a hump for the breather connection but the connection has not been drilled through. There is also no windscreen on the underside of the late AEB valve covers that an AWM cover has along with the breather connection. Late AEBs have different mounting points on the valve cover and upper coolant pipe for the larger engine cover.

The vacuum system is slightly different between early and late AEBs. Early AEBs have the breather system and brake booster directly connected to the intake manifold. Late AEBs have a 3 way valve coming off the rear intake manifold port.

The AEB also has forged pistons and 20mm wrist pins compared to the 19mm on the AWM.

Last edited by BaseDrifter; 09-28-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:46 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by BaseDrifter
Yes. You can also confirm it by going and looking at the back of the head. If there is a plug/connector going into the cam chain tensioner then you have VVT. The VVT is only used for emissions purposes. However some aftermarket tuners have been able to take control of the VVT and have seen power benefits from tweaking it.

There are early and late versions of the AEB. 1997 was the first year of the AEB in the US. I'm unsure if the changes below were made in 98, but they were definitely in place by 99.

Early versions have a flat valve cover with no "hump" for a breather port. Late AEBs will have a hump for the breather connection but the connection has not been drilled through. There is also no windscreen on the underside of the late AEB valve covers that an AWM cover has along with the breather connection. Late AEBs have different mounting points on the valve cover and upper coolant pipe for the larger engine cover.

The vacuum system is slightly different between early and late AEBs. Early AEBs have the breather system and brake booster directly connected to the intake manifold. Late AEBs have a 3 way valve coming off the rear intake manifold port.

The AEB also has forged pistons and 20mm wrist pins compared to the 19mm on the AWM.

Good info! Thanks.

It's just too bad the VVT isn't engineered for the same purpose Honda engineered theirs (if I'm understanding you correctly)!

Old 09-29-2013, 11:04 AM

Honda doesn't have turbochargers on their cars, and uses engines with similar displacement to ours. What would you want VVT to do that your turbocharger doesn't already do?

Last edited by MetalMan; 09-29-2013 at 11:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Is there a difference in B5 years?