B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

test pipe

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 11:24 AM
Default test pipe

When you take out your cat, and install a test pipe, Iknow it throws a CEL but can you still drive it and get a performance gain by simply swapping it out and nothing more?

Old 04-01-2008, 01:24 PM
I'm make believe
Default RE: test pipe

The cel doesnt effect the car, its just an indicator light. The second o2 on sees if the cat is working correctly. Giac should have a file that you can add in to eliminate the cel, if not, you can just add in a couple spacers to solve the problem

Old 04-01-2008, 01:34 PM
Tech Guru

giac does not offer a tp program like apr and i do believe revo do....... yes adding a non fouler or the little angle blocks chaos did will help keep your car from poping a cel for it, but it will probably be stored in your ecu.........

i have the apr tp file and non foulers and the guy that did my 93/tp upgrade said that the tp file is not working in the state of missouri to pass emissions...... if that is the case when it comes time to get my test..... i will do one of two things.....

a) cut a section of exhaust and throw in cat.....probably won't work, since it will be behind the second 02.... and they just hook up to obd ports

b) arkansas plates.....then i can legally not run a front plate

Old 04-01-2008, 01:40 PM
5th Gear

just find a place that can't test AWD cars under load and clear the code right before going. the code shouldn't come back right away and if you do the non fouler mod the code should either never come back or will come back at certain intervals, either way you wont have a code in your ecu when you go to the emissions place and since all they're really doing is scanning your ecu, you'll be fine

Old 04-01-2008, 01:43 PM
Tech Guru

ORIGINAL: chaos92287

just find a place that can't test AWD cars under load and clear the code right before going. the code shouldn't come back right away and if you do the non fouler mod the code should either never come back or will come back at certain intervals, either way you wont have a code in your ecu when you go to the emissions place and since all they're really doing is scanning your ecu, you'll be fine
yeah, i know that, thanks for the advice though

but i am not overly worried about it, as i have family down in ar, so i can just get plates from there

so saftey or emissions

Old 04-01-2008, 02:27 PM

Just clearing the code wont help, because when they scan it, it will say the sensors are not ready and they will make you come back another day.

Old 04-01-2008, 02:42 PM
I'm make believe

ORIGINAL: B5 owns

Just clearing the code wont help, because when they scan it, it will say the sensors are not ready and they will make you come back another day.
yeah, just because there is no cel yet, doesnt mean the codes not. The cel comes back at about 100miles

Old 04-01-2008, 03:28 PM
5th Gear

mine hasn't come back in over 10k miles. and i've scanned for codes w/ vagcom and they are not there. but i dont have to worry about emissions[8D]

Old 04-01-2008, 05:39 PM

Interesting, thanks for the info. So how does one go about getting these non-foulers/ecu fixes? And is it worth getting a test pipe if i'm still going to use the stock exhaust?

Old 04-01-2008, 05:46 PM
5th Gear

yes but opening up the rest of the exhaust is a good idea for the near future. for the ecu fix, you would have to contact the tuning company. i know apr has one but i dont know about giac. if they don't you have to use some sort of spacer. you can get non-foulers from autozone, or an angle block off the internet. guy named Wayne on vortex sells them IIRC. and there was also a thread on AZ for really long non-foulers that are supposed to work better than the short ones you get from autozone.

Quick Reply: test pipe