B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

temp gadge goes past the middle,when i turn off the car

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 03:31 PM
2nd Gear
Default temp gadge goes past the middle,when i turn off the car

I just noticed something,that has been happening for the past week or more.

I never remembered this ever happening,before i had my thermostat,changed when i had my timing belt,done.

When I'm driving,the temp gauge,stays in the middle,all the time but when i shut off the car,then take the key out and walk away and come back after a few minutes,then come back and turn on the car,to see it over heated.

Why is the temp gauge 1.5 positions from the middle? why is my car,over heating,after i turn off the car?

I know that if i drive the car hard and use the turbo,i should always leave the car running in park,for a few minutes,to turn cool down the turbo but even if i do not drive hard,(meaning using boost)it still seems to over heat,when driving normal.

When i turn the car on,the coolant is obviously circulating,is that why the temp gauge,returns to the middle,after a few minutes,when i turn the car back on? or is the t-stat opening up,when i turn the car on?

I need to know if harm is being done to Audina ...please advise.

Last edited by morpheous; 05-06-2012 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:27 PM
1st Gear

My car does the same thing, a few other people also said its normal. Let me guess, as soon as you turn it back on the car goes.back to the middle within a few minutes.huh? It makes sense as to why it.goes past half when the car is off, thats because.the cooling system is off and the car is still hot. As far as I know its normal and it shouldn't cause any harm.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:55 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by DanaB6
My car does the same thing, a few other people also said its normal. Let me guess, as soon as you turn it back on the car goes.back to the middle within a few minutes.huh? It makes sense as to why it.goes past half when the car is off, thats because.the cooling system is off and the car is still hot. As far as I know its normal and it shouldn't cause any harm.
Yes!,that's exactly what happens. Its nice to know that it isn't just me and a relief to know,its normal.

Although,i don't recall it ever doing this,before i got my timing belt and t-stat and water pump,changed.

Anywho...I'm glad im not harming Audina.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:36 PM
1st Gear

Yeah i was freaking out too, people say its normal so whatever i guess. That explains why my old b6 had its fan still running even after the car was off for a few seconds.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:45 PM
2nd Gear

Funny thing,my 1997 VW jetta,does that very thing,after driving it for awhile. when i stop and cut it off,the fan,still keeps running for about 2-3 minutes after i turn off the engine.

I wish my 2001 Audi A4 1.8T automatic would do that,then there would be no over heating. maybe it did at one point,maybe that is why it never did that before.

When my mechanic did the timing belt job,i took Audina to my auto body guy to do some painting and light body work,he said that there was a connector,dangling and hitting the fan,he connected it back for me.

I don't know if this wire,was for the fan to keep running,while the engine is off for a few minutes.

Anyone know if our B5's do this or not?

Old 05-06-2012, 08:20 PM
Administrator

Mine doesn't. When I turn off the car, it all shuts down. The temp gauge part is nothing to sweat.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:43 PM
2nd Gear

Does it happen to your B5 too,Jeremy?

Old 05-06-2012, 08:57 PM
Administrator

Not always but it does sometimes.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:53 AM
1st Gear

It's called heat soak, guys. The 2.7T inside the B5 engine bay is so tight - that all the heat to and from the turbos bounces off the shock towers, amplifying the heat, under the hood.

Audi should have engineered two large snorkels on the hood, to dissipate all that heat....

Old 06-07-2012, 11:44 AM
1st Gear

not sure anyone here has a 2.7t under the hood of their b5... but same concept yes.

Quick Reply: temp gadge goes past the middle,when i turn off the car