B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

SWITCHING AUTO TO MANUAL???

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 03:59 AM
Default SWITCHING AUTO TO MANUAL???

AMYONE HAVE ANY WISE WORDS ON THIS TOPIC?

I have a b5 Avant Wagon..... Efn auto... Jsut wanted to hear from someone who has done or know someone who hs done?

Can someone direct me to a thread?

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p...owlow-SKTP.jpg

Name:  audi-lowlow-SKTP.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  136.8 KB

Old 05-01-2008, 07:31 AM
CLX
Zombie Defense Force
Default RE: SWITCHING AUTO TO MANUAL???

No. If you searched, you'd already know the answer

Old 05-01-2008, 09:01 AM
1st Gear

this guy claims to have an adapter kit to switch from auto to manual I wouldtalk to this guyand find out what its all about every one says it cant be done butthere mightbe a way.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-Au...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 05-01-2008, 10:20 AM
5th Gear

its gona set you back a bit, but it can be done. you need a new crankshaft, tranny, clutch, shifter assembly. unless your doing all this yourself, your better off selling yours and buying a manual. but if you got the skills, time, and tools. go for it

Old 05-01-2008, 02:20 PM

buy a new car.

Old 05-01-2008, 04:00 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: klum00

buy a new car.
ditto.

I pulled it off once on a Mitsubishi Eclipse AWD, and I will NEVER do it again. And those cars are cheap and easy to work on.

Get a new car.

Old 05-01-2008, 05:09 PM
5th Gear

no one likes getting their hands dirty...

Old 05-01-2008, 06:23 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: chaos92287

? ? ?

I don't know if you have ever tried such a thing, but it is waayy too much work for the benefits. If you intend on keeping the car stock, you have to take a lot more time than you would otherwise.

I did the first conversion on a car (4g63 AWD Eclipse) that was being rally prepped, and it was fairly easy. Granted, I got to use hole saws and hammers to get the job done. Having done that, another guy asked me to do the conversion on his daily driver. I thought, "No big deal, I can do anything. I'm in High School, and I kick ***..." So I said "yes", and proceeded to waste more than 2 weeks of my life on that car.

On a car like these, it is just better to sell off the auto to someone who won't mind and find one that suits you. It would be worth the wait.

Cory

Old 05-02-2008, 12:55 AM
1st Gear

yo premo... what size rims you got on that wagon.. they look bigger than usual.

Old 05-02-2008, 03:14 AM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: crsf29

ORIGINAL: chaos92287

? ? ?

I don't know if you have ever tried such a thing, but it is waayy too much work for the benefits. If you intend on keeping the car stock, you have to take a lot more time than you would otherwise.

I did the first conversion on a car (4g63 AWD Eclipse) that was being rally prepped, and it was fairly easy. Granted, I got to use hole saws and hammers to get the job done. Having done that, another guy asked me to do the conversion on his daily driver. I thought, "No big deal, I can do anything. I'm in High School, and I kick ***..." So I said "yes", and proceeded to waste more than 2 weeks of my life on that car.

On a car like these, it is just better to sell off the auto to someone who won't mind and find one that suits you. It would be worth the wait.

Cory
like i said, if you got the time, tools, and skills to pull this off, why not do it? incidentally on these cars its much easier to change a stick to an auto, just need a little trimming where the crank would hit the torque converter, but auto to manual could still be done, you can even swap in a 2.8 tranny for the same price as the 1.8 tranny, or a s4 6 speed tranny for a little bit more

Quick Reply: SWITCHING AUTO TO MANUAL???