B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

swaps

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 08:09 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by pyropenguin
stock to stock comparisons are dumb. Who leaves their car stock if they care about performance?

My point is that little turbo awd cars (sti, evo, eclipse gsx, BT a4)can throw you back in your seat much better than big v8 cars, unless those v8 cars have slicks and modified suspension.
My only question was what car were you referring to that ran 1.5 second 60fts? You said it as if to compare to the G8, so I'm curious what car and how modified it was.

Originally Posted by pyropenguin
big engines are inefficient.
That statement is incredibly general and far from true.

Originally Posted by Mike-2ptzero
True to a point. If you take a V8 and I4 and put the same size turbo on them you that is maxed out on both cars you end up with the same amount of power. This is because the air is divided into each cylinder with more air into each cylinder on a 4 cylinder and less air into each cylinder on a V8. This is why a GT35r on a 8, 6 or 4 are going to make the same amount of power. The power bands are just going to be different because the displacement is going to effect the spool up(boost threshold).
There are way too many variables to simply say that if you put the same turbo on a V8 and an I4 they will end up with the same power. A turbocharger that is really efficient on a 2 liter engine may not be efficient on a 5 liter engine. For any given amount of fluid (air) the pressure and cfm (fluid velocity) can only be a certain amount: as the cfm goes up, the pressure goes down and vise versa (especially if we consider the flow laminar). If you look at a flow map, you can see the efficiency of the compressor compared with the pressure and cfm. Not every engine is going to be able to create enough pressure and velocity to be efficient for every turbo. This is why you have to match your engine (and modifications) to the turbo--people often mismatch these and end up with a turbo system that isn't as efficient as it could be.

Now if space is limited to a NA V8 vs a turbo A4 then it becomes a completly different story. This is also exactly why there are rules in racing and why you dont see FI V8's drag racing against FI 4 cylinder cars, but will see NA V8's racing against FI 4's while using the same fuel. Doing a Turbo V8 is not going to be easy since its a tight fit as it is for a NA V8.
I don't really understand what you're trying to say with this statement. What do you mean if space is a limit? If the engine isn't DOHC, then I can't see space being an issue on too many V8s, and even if it is, it's not impossible to fit. But I don't really see how this is relevant.

When it comes down to it, it is all about the power to weight ratio. A lighter car with less power is going to be quicker then a heavier car with more power if the power to weight ration is in the lighter cars favor.
Again, don't see the relevance since we are simply talking engines. My point was you can fit more air and fuel into a larger space (ie a larger engine); nothing to do with the car the engine is in.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:27 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by turtleboy

Again, don't see the relevance since we are simply talking engines. My point was you can fit more air and fuel into a larger space (ie a larger engine); nothing to do with the car the engine is in.
Pretty sure 99.999999999999999999999% of the people on this forum already knew that, we are not 4 years old. This thread wasn't about will a turbo V8 make more power then a Turbo I4, it is about engine swaps into a B5 A4 which is why this forum is called the B5 Model on a Audi forum and the last time I checked there was a very limited space in our engine bay.

My only question was what car were you referring to that ran 1.5 second 60fts? You said it as if to compare to the G8, so I'm curious what car and how modified it was.
My A4 pulls 1.5 and it doesn't need slicks to do it. I was even doing that back when I was making 500awhp running DOT tires and over 3000 lbs. Had no problems pulling 1.6's with B6 1.8t's that are nearly 4000 lbs with me in it and those were only running Elim kits and running mid to high 12's. One of them even had huge brakes and 19" wheels.

I dont know many V8's making 400+hp per liter, but then if they were they would be pushing around 2000 hp.

BTW I said GT35r which happens to be a turbo V8 people do use. They have to run it at lower boost levels to get the same amount of air, if they try running higher boost it just acts like a chipped K03 on our 1.8 liter with the power peaking really soon and then falling on its face. I used that as example becaue the only difference between the 2 is the displacement of the motor but yet the 2 will make just about the same peak hp. It is just plain stupid to compare a GT35r 2 liter to a V8 running a GT45 since anyone in their right mind already knows if both are pushed hard the V8 is going to make enough power. Again like I said this is a forum of adults not a preschool for 4 years olds. Hell it isn't like I dont have freinds that drag race V8's that run in the 6's.

Last edited by Mike-2ptzero; 03-19-2010 at 08:36 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:52 PM
1st Gear

Eh? I guess you feel insulted for some reason, I'm simply discussing the engines and turbo efficiencies; no need to defend yourself.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:44 PM

im now havin a boost problem with my k04, its got the giac program chip, and it spools super quick and holds 15psi till like 5 grand and starts dropping boost pressure and by the time im a redline and shifting im at 10psi. i dont get it

Old 03-21-2010, 01:17 AM
1st Gear

Anyone that finds this thread and is wondering why the same turbo can't be matted to every engine with similar results, this site is a very good read!

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...ch_center.html

Old 03-21-2010, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by audiquattroa4
im now havin a boost problem with my k04, its got the giac program chip, and it spools super quick and holds 15psi till like 5 grand and starts dropping boost pressure and by the time im a redline and shifting im at 10psi. i dont get it
that's not a problem, that's the way it is. The baby k04 can't move enough air to hold 15psi to redline.

Old 03-21-2010, 02:06 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
You can do whatever you can afford - 2.0, 2.7TT, VR6-T, 4.2 V8, W12, RB-series Nissan engine, LS2 V8, 13B and Hollinger racing dogbox. Sky, bank, and creativity are the limit.
Back the train up, LS2??? I just happen to have access to that very motor. Is there info or anyone else whose done so?

Old 03-21-2010, 09:22 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by mikekey
Back the train up, LS2??? I just happen to have access to that very motor. Is there info or anyone else whose done so?
Bye bye Quattro.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by mikekey
Originally Posted by dragonrage
Bye bye Quattro.
as in, it wont work, or do you mean it wont handle the power?

search Guruman on audizine... He's doing the swap now. You can get an adapter plate to bolt the LSx to the 01E transmission. It should hold up to the power.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:19 AM
2nd Gear

old school

Name:  CIMG3895.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  140.7 KB

LS1 going into B5

Now thank you, I am watching that thread very closely, that would be a fun project.