B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

swaps

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 09:55 AM

who sells mounts for any swaps, anyone? i come from that shitty honda **** where if you got a car you need and wanna swap it the first thiing you do is go to hasport for some mounts for an easy swap. and where is a good place to find find used motors to build. A rb26 would be so nasty! if they made mounts to swap it in for less of a pain.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:09 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Mr. Phil
hahaha cuz mike knows nothing about being thrown back in his seat or digs right.... hes got what double the HP your failed G8 has and half the motor?
You're comparing a highly modified car to a stock car. What is the point that you're trying to make? I'm not the blinded one here. I know that his car is serious, and I never claimed that my G8 is the fastest car around or anything ridiculous like that. There are multiple A4s here that are all-around faster than my G8 but they are highly modified to do so. "Failed"? Someone's butt hurt about my HID comments, huh? The G8 is a great car. Go and read any review about it. I have no idea why you think it's appropriate to slam my car here because I've shown no disrespect about Mike's car or anyone else's here. Besides, what good does it do to stand behind someone else's car? I could easily name you people with serious G8s faster than mine that could kick some serious ***, but those are not mine any more than Mike's car is yours.

Last edited by dragonrage; 03-19-2010 at 10:12 AM.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by turtleboy
What car are you referring to? Most cars I see in the 1.5 60fts are in the 9s or low 10s in the 1/4, so unless his G8 is set up for the strip I don't think it's going to see 1.5 60fts. If you're talking about a AWD car like a Quattro, having four wheels laying down power is a different story, but that has nothing to do with the engine. And even then those cars are strip cars usually running slicks as well.
stock to stock comparisons are dumb. Who leaves their car stock if they care about performance?

My point is that little turbo awd cars (sti, evo, eclipse gsx, BT a4)can throw you back in your seat much better than big v8 cars, unless those v8 cars have slicks and modified suspension.

Originally Posted by dragonrage
You're comparing a highly modified car to a stock car. What is the point that you're trying to make? I'm not the blinded one here. I know that his car is serious, and I never claimed that my G8 is the fastest car around or anything ridiculous like that. There are multiple A4s here that are all-around faster than my G8 but they are highly modified to do so. "Failed"? Someone's butt hurt about my HID comments, huh? The G8 is a great car. Go and read any review about it. I have no idea why you think it's appropriate to slam my car here because I've shown no disrespect about Mike's car or anyone else's here. Besides, what good does it do to stand behind someone else's car? I could easily name you people with serious G8s faster than mine that could kick some serious ***, but those are not mine any more than Mike's car is yours.
Which G8 do you have? You do realize you're comparing the performance of a 7-14 year old entry level luxury sedan to a bigger, performance oriented sedan, right? of course we're arguing about modified A4s... they were never meant to be fast cars stock.

Last edited by pyropenguin; 03-19-2010 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:17 AM
2nd Gear

I'm aware that AWD is awesome, but my point was that small engine big turbo cars lack low end grunt. I know that Mike's car will kick my *** when his turbo is doing its thing, but before that point, he's just got a 2L engine in a car that's nearly as heavy as my G8.

I think stock to stock is a fair comparison in this context. I'm not trying to make a point of me vs Mike. This thread is not about "Does dragonrage have a chance at beating Mike's car?" This thread is about ENGINES.

Last edited by dragonrage; 03-19-2010 at 11:19 AM.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:19 AM

True.

big engines are inefficient.

Old 03-19-2010, 11:25 AM
2nd Gear

Yes and no... it's far more about how you drive than what kind of engine. My A4 doesn't get that much better gas mileage than my G8. But my aunt has a B6 A4 also with the 1.8T and she gets way better gas mileage than my A4 because I bury my foot and she doesn't.

Top Gear had a show a few seasons ago about this. It ended up with an M3 getting better gas mileage than a Prius when driving quickly around their track.

Yes, my L76 has more rotating mass and thus is at a disadvantage, but it's really not that major. Besides, the faster you make your car, the lower your gas mileage is going to be. I doubt that Mike is pulling 35MPG.

Last edited by dragonrage; 03-19-2010 at 11:27 AM.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:27 AM

Meh, anyways....

procharged LSx > any engine

Old 03-19-2010, 11:35 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by turtleboy
Yep, there are always supplements to displacement, but no replacement. People always say "well what about small turbo engines that can beat v8s", but if you take a small engine and compare it with a similar big engine, and do the same/similar things to it (ie both turbo'd, both sugercharged, both N/A etc.), the big engine is going to win out. It basically comes down to, more air and fuel = more power. You can fit more air and fuel into a larger engine than a smaller engine.

Ooo I want to see
True to a point. If you take a V8 and I4 and put the same size turbo on them you that is maxed out on both cars you end up with the same amount of power. This is because the air is divided into each cylinder with more air into each cylinder on a 4 cylinder and less air into each cylinder on a V8. This is why a GT35r on a 8, 6 or 4 are going to make the same amount of power. The power bands are just going to be different because the displacement is going to effect the spool up(boost threshold).

Now if space is limited to a NA V8 vs a turbo A4 then it becomes a completly different story. This is also exactly why there are rules in racing and why you dont see FI V8's drag racing against FI 4 cylinder cars, but will see NA V8's racing against FI 4's while using the same fuel. Doing a Turbo V8 is not going to be easy since its a tight fit as it is for a NA V8.

When it comes down to it, it is all about the power to weight ratio. A lighter car with less power is going to be quicker then a heavier car with more power if the power to weight ration is in the lighter cars favor.

Old 03-19-2010, 11:52 AM
Administrator

This has been a cool thread to follow. You guys are friggin smart!

Old 03-19-2010, 12:49 PM
4th Gear

so they still make the g8 right?

Quick Reply: swaps