B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Suspension question

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by wubbinz79
My rear window regulators broke, both of them and I attribute that to having my car lowered.
How could lowering your car possibly cause your window regulators to break? I've had my car lowered for 2+ years, lots of guys on here much longer than that. If you don't drive like a dip **** it's no different than having a car at stock ride height.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:41 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by wubbinz79
My rear window regulators broke, both of them and I attribute that to having my car lowered.
Lol at you guys that didn't see the dripping sarcasm here.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:48 PM
1st Gear

Not sure if OP has done the suspension yet or made a decision, but personally Ive had H&R race's on stock sport struts for about 6 months now and its not that bad. theyre ~175k miles and not blown (yet). And im by no means easy on my car... True, the ride is a bit bouncy at times but its not as bad as some people make it sound. looks great, the car handles a million times better now and almost no body roll at all. Yea its not super cushy anymore but its a lowered car. thats just how its going to be. If you have the springs and are waiting on struts, personally I would just throw the springs on the sport struts and let her buck. Enjoy the springs and save up for some nice bilsteins or coilovers. Realistically if youre a bit mechanically inclined, it only takes ~20-30 min to remove each shock anyway.

Old 09-19-2012, 03:55 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by livinglegend2100
Not sure if OP has done the suspension yet or made a decision, but personally Ive had H&R race's on stock sport struts for about 6 months now and its not that bad. theyre ~175k miles and not blown (yet). And im by no means easy on my car... True, the ride is a bit bouncy at times but its not as bad as some people make it sound. looks great, the car handles a million times better now and almost no body roll at all. Yea its not super cushy anymore but its a lowered car. thats just how its going to be. If you have the springs and are waiting on struts, personally I would just throw the springs on the sport struts and let her buck. Enjoy the springs and save up for some nice bilsteins or coilovers. Realistically if youre a bit mechanically inclined, it only takes ~20-30 min to remove each shock anyway.
Yeah thats what i did, i was too cheap to buy new shocks, mine have 180k on them, OEM sport struts with h&r race springs. The ride is a little bouncy, but no where near as bad as what people say. It took me about 5 hours to do everything my self, it was my first time doing it and i also changed all the bushings, made a few mistakes here and there but it was a fun learning experience. The car does handle 100x better and looks 1000x better, the only bad thing is i forget to slow down on bumps and avoid pot holes, im used to just flying over them.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:05 PM
1st Gear

Well, excessive vibration over time loosens bolts and what not, I had both regulators break within a month. We can all agree, more vibration increased the likelihood of something going wrong rather than staying the same. Also the car has a long nose, if you get rid of the wheel gap the lower facia is going to be destroyed in time.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:24 PM
1st Gear

lowered suspension does not necessarily mean stiffer suspension. While I agree that some underbody components are more at risk with a lowered car (especially from big speed bumps), there's no reason in the world why your car should vibrate excessively from being lowered, unless it was done wrong.

I've owned lowered cars before. The only ill side effect was the bouncing when using inadequate shocks. This isn't vibration, it's just an up-and-down motion caused by the springs because the shocks couldn't dampen the impact adequantely. At no time did this ever cause loose bolts or broken components.

Last edited by GoremanX; 09-19-2012 at 07:27 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by McGovs2.7TB5
If you can get the Bilsteins that cheap, that's your best bet. This was my old A4 on H&R sport springs and OE sport shocks. The race springs would be lower than this:

Hey McGovs I'm planning on doing this to my 2.8Q- it has OEM sport susp. and was wondering what the ride quality was like with the H&R sports?

Recently picked it up for my wife with only 50k on it (granny who had it barely drove it), so I figure the stock struts/shocks should still be good, but I don't want it to be too jarring of a ride, or too bouncy for that matter; do the OEM sport shocks pair well with the H&Rs...?

I've been on the fence about picking up a set of coilovers for it, but since my wife will be driving it mostly, I'm leaning towards saving the money and just try to eliminate the reverse rake/slightly improving the handling..

THanks for any/all input,
Tom

Old 11-02-2012, 08:48 AM
3rd Gear

The H&R sports were wife approved. Rode just fine, not really bouncy at all, much less body roll while getting on it on the on-ramps. I would say go for it. I never had many clearance issues. Mine did not come with the OE sport struts so they were purchased used with an unknown amount of miles and I put an additional 25k on the setup with out any ill effects.

Old 11-02-2012, 04:18 PM
1st Gear

which after market springs have the lowest drop?

Old 11-02-2012, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by McGovs2.7TB5
The H&R sports were wife approved. Rode just fine, not really bouncy at all, much less body roll while getting on it on the on-ramps. I would say go for it. I never had many clearance issues. Mine did not come with the OE sport struts so they were purchased used with an unknown amount of miles and I put an additional 25k on the setup with out any ill effects.
Ok cool, thanks. I think I will go that route. The stance on your old A4 looks good, however, I think I've seen some other pictures of guys on H&R sports which still retain somewhat of that dreaded reverse rake... I have no idea why that would vary from car to car (older shocks/struts, different unsprung weights ie. subs in the back?). Hope mine comes out with an even amount of wheel gap!

Quick Reply: Suspension question